Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Scan In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ap1212

ap1212

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:08 AM

For the past few weeks my computer has been running really slow. Nothing ever comes up on virus scans or anti spyware and I've tried everything recommened on this site. However, when I try to run them in safe mode, I get an error message and can't do it. Does this mean there's a problem or am I doing something wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:41 AM

Which specific programs were you trying to run in safe mode?

What kinds of error messages were you receiving? What did the messages say?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 ap1212

ap1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:19 AM

first I tried my antivirus-trend micro. when that wouldn't work I tried stinger (first disabling trend micro though) and also both spybot and ad aware. Every time I got an error pop up about the resolution being too much or something to that effect.
I appreciate all your help

#4 tmd

tmd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:43 AM

all you have to do is Post the error messanges and show in details how it appears. That's help u alot.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

Are you following the Safe Mode tutorial instructions provided "here"?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 ap1212

ap1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:45 AM

I actually wrote a much longer reply but when I tried to post it IE froze followed by the End Program pop up. I still cannot run in safe mode (followed both suggestions in the tutorial) and things are seem to be getting worse. The pop up number keeps increasing on the google toolbar and the screen flickers.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:04 AM

Do you have access to another computer?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 ap1212

ap1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:34 AM

:thumbsup: no. I've been having issues with my laptop since back in december when it deleted two of my papers. I tried everything but it was like they never existed...anywayz it's a Dell inspiron 8600 that gets EXTREMELY hot in increasingly shorter time periods. (It was excluded by one letter from Dell's battery recall) It wasn't until the Safemode problem that I thought it might be a virus/spyware/malware issue.
Is this usually a sign of a problem?

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:06 AM

Ouch! Not having access to another computer compounds the difficulties. There aren't any public computing centers that you could use?

Are you able to download programs onto your computer?

I suspect the heat issue is in part caused by the junk on your computer that's running without your telling it. I would keep it disconnected from the internet as much as possible.

If my computer deleted files without my direction, I would be immediately suspicious of infection.

Orange Blossom

#10 ap1212

ap1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:07 AM

:flowers: I know. Sorry I took so long to respond! I can download things (it just takes forever!!!) I downloaded autoruns after reading bc's tutorial but I'm not seeing anything really off and virus scans using those recommended online ones and my current software haven't found anything. So I decided to conduct an experiment by intentionally leaving not deleting the browser history before running spybot and adaware. Both came back clean and although this may prove nothing, I found that extremely odd.
There are other computers I can use if I'll need to. What should I do next? I'm so confused
:thumbsup: I really hate this thing!

#11 whintersby

whintersby

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:32 AM

...So I decided to conduct an experiment by intentionally leaving not deleting the browser history before running spybot and adaware. Both came back clean and although this may prove nothing, I found that extremely odd.

I wouldn't find that odd in the slightest, as Spybot and Ad-Aware have been on a serious decline for the last 12month+ anyway. They regularly find nothing nowadays, missing a whole host of infections other software finds. :thumbsup:

#12 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:54 AM

:thumbsup: no. I've been having issues with my laptop since back in december when it deleted two of my papers. I tried everything but it was like they never existed...anywayz it's a Dell inspiron 8600 that gets EXTREMELY hot in increasingly shorter time periods. (It was excluded by one letter from Dell's battery recall) It wasn't until the Safemode problem that I thought it might be a virus/spyware/malware issue.
Is this usually a sign of a problem?

Are you on dialup or DSL?

#13 ap1212

ap1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:28 PM

It's wireless through a router. My roommate had it setup before I moved in and its private so it's (i'm pretty sure) just the two of us using it. What kind of scans should I be doing in the meantime? What programs do you recommend?

Edited by ap1212, 02 February 2007 - 12:31 PM.

#14 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

First do this :

Please follow these steps :

• Defrag your system. Disk fragmentation slows the overall performance of your system. When files are fragmented, the computer must search the hard disk when a file is opened. Disk Defragmenter consolidates fragmented files and folders on the hard disk so that each occupies a single space on the disk. This speeds up reading and writing to the disk. Read "The Importance of Disk Defragmentation" for instructions.

• Check for disk errors by running CHKDSK. CHKDSK can be run from the Recovery Console, the command prompt or through the Windows GUI.
To run chkdsk from the Win XP GUI see these instructions.
To run chkdsk from the command prompt see these instructions.
To run chkdsk from the Recovery Console see these instructions.
The problem with running CHKDSK from Win XP is that it will not check files that are being used by Windows. Using chkdsk in the Recovery Console with the /r switch is a way to resolve this.

• Check for damaged, altered or missing critical system files by running the System File Checker. If SFC discovers that a protected file has been damaged, altered or missing, it restores the correct version of the file from the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your XP Installation CD so have it available.

• Clean up your hard drive by removing unused programs and transferring old data, pictures, music files to a CD or an external hard drive. When you have moved/saved the files you want to keep, run Disk Cleanup and let it scan your system for files to remove. "Don’t clean out the Prefetch folder" - This is a common myth that will not improve performance.

• Check for any unnecessary running services. If you have a typical installation, many services are configured as "automatic"; that is, they start automatically when the system starts or when the service is called for the first time. Use "Black Viper's Services Configuration" to help fine tune this area.

• Check for any unnecessary applications loading at startup when Windows boots with MSConfig. Some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable. If you are unsure what any of the startup entries are or if they are safe to disable, then search one of the following Startup Databases:
Startup Programs Database
StartupList Index

Note: MSConfig.exe is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose system configuration issues. Although it works as a basic startup manager which allows you to enable/disable auto-start programs, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable startup programs.

A better alternative is to use a startup manager. If you have have Spybot S&D 1.4 installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled. Other startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns and Starter by CodeStuff.

• Remove any third party "Memory Manager" or "Optimizer". Windows XP memory management was designed to make the best use of Ram and these memory management utilities defeat that purpose. They push applications out of RAM into the pagefile, creating holes in the RAM and by doing so, slow down your computer.

• Disable some visual effects. While visual embellishments that may be attractive, they don’t do anything else for you. Disabling some of them frees up system resources and makes the operating system perform better. Right click My Computer, choose > Properties > Advanced, click on "Settings" under performance...UNcheck all the visual effects, except for the last three. Click "Apply", then "OK", then "OK" again. Then right click your desktop and choose > Properties > Appearance > "Effects...Uncheck the first two boxes and hit "OK".

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:

* Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
* Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
* Under Browsing History, click "Delete".
* Click "Delete Files", "Delete cookies" and "Delete history"
* Click Close below.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):

* Go to Tools > Options.
* Click Privacy in the menu..
* Click the Clear now button below.. A new window will popup what to clear.
* Select all and click the Clear button again.
* Click OK to close the Options window

* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin

* Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
* Let it scan your system for files to remove.
* Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
* Press OK to remove them.

After that you can run this test to rule out malware issues at large and ppst back whether there is any improvement at all

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:50 PM

Given the fact that you have all those pop-ups etc. we know that you're infected. What do the pop-ups say?

I'm providing a list of some programs that you can use to help clean up this mess. You may wish to go to that other computer, download and save those programs to a disk or thumb drive all at once as it will be a lot faster. I'm including usage directions or links to those directions after each program name.
-------------------
SUPERAntiSpyware free found here: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

Be sure to click on the download button to the left, not on the free trial download on the right.

Install it and double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.
· It will ask if you want to update the program definitions, click Yes.
· Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
· Click the Scanning Control tab.
· Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked:
o Close browsers before scanning
o Scan for tracking cookies
o Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
o Please leave the others unchecked.
o Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.
· On the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
· On the left check C:\Fixed Drive.
· On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
· Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
· After the scan is complete a summary box will appear. Click OK.
· Make sure everything in the white box has a check next to it, then click Next.
· It will quarantine what it found and if it asks if you want to reboot, click Yes.
· To retrieve the removal information for me please do the following:
o After reboot, double-click the SUPERAntispyware icon on your desktop.
o Click Preferences. Click the Statistics/Logs tab.
o Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
o It will open in your default text editor (such as Notepad/Wordpad).
o Please highlight everything in the notepad, then right-click and choose copy.
· Click close and close again to exit the program.
--------------------
AVG AntiSpyware 7.5 (formerly Edwido) found here: http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
Directions for use in both normal and safe modes are provided here by our own quietman7:
http://www.castlecops.com/t137442-CCSP_Ewi...structions.html
You will also find the directions to disable the real-time scanning which I would advise doing right away as it is only available for the paid version which the free version is like for the first 30 days.
-------------------
HiJackThis: Read the directions in this guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ for downloading and installing HiJack This. You will find them in step 9. You may wish to print the guide out as you will be referring to it again.

After you have done the SUPERAntiSpyware and AVG AntiSpyware scans, go back to step 9 in the aforementioned guide to find out how to create a scan and log with HiJackThis. Once you have created your log, create a new topic in the following forum
--> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ give it a good descriptive title, provide a brief description of what problems you have been having, what you have done to try to fix it, what worked and didn't work and paste in your HJT log.

Once you have posted your log, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: installing/uninstalling programs, deleting files, disabling services etc. as this will make it more difficult for your HJT helper to assist you. Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. If you have not had a response in 5 Days add a reply to this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic14717.html and paste in the link to your HJT log.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users