Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's Proper Way To Update Network Driver?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:41 PM

I'd like to update my Intel® PRO/100VE Network Connection driver from v. 8.0.15.0 (dated 10/14/2004) to v. 11.2 (dated 11/28/2006). I found this latest update on the Intel website. However, when I went into Device Manager and called up the Properties of the current version, and used the network update wizard, it did not find a better driver, so no update was performed.

So... I'm a bit hesitant to install this new updated driver. Especially after receiving this message in the ReadMe txt: "In some instances, Intel PROSet for Window* Device Manager may be missing tabs after upgrading from an older version of PROSet. It is recommended that you uninstall the older version of PROSet before performing the upgrade."

Do forum members have experience in updating network drivers? I'm just afraid that if I uninstall the old one, and install this new one, ... well, you know. The computer's working right now. Hate to have it blow up again... Thanks for your advice, as always.

OS - Windows XP Media Edition w/ 1GB RAM
drymobius

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:28 AM

I would only update a network driver if I had a problem as it is not going to make a lot of difference. As they say if it isn't broken don't fix it!
MCP
MSDST

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:23 AM

How to update a Windows hardware driver.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:48 PM

Monty and Budapest, thanks for your advice and information. I'll leave things alone, but if I need to update, I'll have the right info to do so.
drymobius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users