Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safely Remove Hardware?!?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:42 PM

Well, now that I'm FINALLY posting this on my new 'puter, I'm running into a couple of problems. The biggest of which is the icon in the system tray telling me that I can safely remove hardware. The problem is, there's isn't hardware that I installed that is removable. It's not the video cards, can't be the memory either or the hard drive OR the new DVD/CD drive I bought. The only thing I can think of is the USB port PCI card I bought to substitute for the supplied 4-port USB port that the mobo came with (so I can free up the USB connectors on the mobo for the case USBs on the front).

How can I fix this problem? I already installed the drivers from the CD.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

Do you have a flash drive, and did you check all your connections?

Gavin Seabrook

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:59 PM

What kind of MoBo do you have? Mine (ASUS nforce) has the hard drive (as in the SATA drive with windows on it) available to disconnect. It is part of the ASUS mobility package...
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:42 AM

Nope, no flash drive.

As for mobo model, it's the eVGA nForce 680i SLi motherboard. I didn't know it would recognize it as a removable device. Is there a way to disable that? I can see it annoying the heck out of me.

Also, it's not gonna hurt if I disconnect the bezel indicator lights, will it? I'm not sure I hooked it up correctly as the light keeps flashing instead of staying on. I'm thinking about disconnecting it permanently. It's just lights, so it shouldn't matter, right?

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:47 AM

If you click on the safely remove hardware icon does it list any hardware that can be removed? You can set the icon to "always hide" if it bugs you.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:16 AM

I'm too afraid to click on it. I mean, I right-click on it and the only thing that shows up is "Safely Remove Hardware."

Did a little research, though. Seems like JPHarvey touched on something there, the SATA drives are apparently hot swappable. I can't see why they would do something like that, but no matter, I'll just go into Control Panels and hide that icon. Stupid glitch, if you ask me.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:52 AM

Don't worry about clicking on it, it won't remove anything yet - there are more stages to go through. It appears on my system also, and when I click on it it gives me the option to remove my CD/DVD drive. I just set it to always hide.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:33 PM

There's some registry edits I found online that should do the trick, namely adding a DWORD value to the hard drive registry key. Question is, I'm not sure where to find it. I mean, I run regedit, but have no clue where it is or where to add it. For that matter, don't know how to add a registry key either, and I generally don't like to mess with registries.

#9 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:44 PM

Have you had a look at the drivers installed as part of the nVidia chipset package?

Go into Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and click Change/Remove on the nVidia Drivers. It should come up with a list of the drivers installed - see if one of them is the hot-swappable driver for the HDDs...
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:11 AM

Just click on the Safely Remove Hardware icon. The next screen will present you with a list of choices. One of the buttons on that page will say "Properties" - check this to see what the device is. Without doing this you'll only be guessing what it is - and messing with the registry like this is sure recipe for disaster!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:48 PM

For the record, it IS the SATA HD and CD/DVD showing up as removable. I COULD edit the registry so the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon would be removed. Then again, I can just permanently hide it. I guess it just bothers me a little bit knowing it's there.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:55 AM

While it's possible that the CD/DVD drive could be removable - it's very unlikely. But the SATA drive (unless it's plugged into a USB port) will not be removable.

So, there's something "weird" with your windows installation. I'd first suggest trying SFC.EXE from the Run dialog ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ )

Next, I'd try updating your motherboard/chipset drivers.

Finally, I'd try a repair install of Windows (this'll save your data and programs, but will reinstall the Windows files that SFC.EXE doesn't): http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

SATA2 driver are hot-swappable, which mean you can use the "Safely Remove Hardware" to remove the SATA drive without turning off the machine (as long as it isn't the one with windows on it). And if the DVD-drive is SATA as well it also is removable. Everything is in order.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#14 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:57 PM

I figured as much. Researched it quite a bit online and I'm not the only one with this problem. It's just a bit of nuisance is all.

But thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users