Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Conejita2105

Conejita2105

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:57 PM

I recently restored my system to about a month ago but there is software listed in the add/remove programs that I had uninstalled a while ago so it is no longer on the pc. For some reason when I try to re-install games or for instance my aol instant messenger it won't let me. A message keeps coming up stating that it cannot be found. And when I put in pc game disk it does not give me the option to re-install, it only says "Play". So I have no idea how to re-install the software that I had on before I restored my system. *sigh*

BTW some of the messages that come are:

"An installation support file could not be installed. The system cannot find the file specified"

The one for AIM says "Unable to locate component"

"Error Extracting Support files: The system cannot find the file specified"

Are there any other ways to fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

Could be several reasons. First I am curious as to why you restored. This usually indicates you had an issue that you tried to rectify by restoring, and knowing what that issue is might be a good clue to determining what is causing your current issue.

One idea is to try a program called Uninstall Plus. It is a program that is available on a trial basis HERE. I use it regularly and like it. Not only will it start a specific program's uninstaller, but then it will search the registry for any traces of the deleted program. Download it, install it, and then try to use it to uninstall the remnants of whatever software is giving you trouble. Reboot your computer. Then try to reinstall your software.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

Well you should be able to jump into your Add/Remove programs, tell it to uninstall and it will tell you "Cant find file -----, do you want to remove it from this list?" say yes and you should be able to reinstall things no problem.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users