Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Switching Off When Changing Accounts.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:37 PM

Hi guys,

I did a search on this topic but found nothing. I have had Comodo Firewall installed on my PC for around 3mths now with no serious problems to report. It has been updated to the latest version since last weekend. I find it an excellent Firewall and relatively easy to use.

My daughter and I share this PC (both administrative accounts) and I have noticed that when I sign in after my daughter has been on the PC I get the little Windows warning shield in my taskbar telling me that Comodo is switched off and no firewall is working. When I then hover the mouse over the task bar icons there is no response and it takes around 15-20 seconds before any text appears and then I get the normal "Your computer's security level is set to 'custom'. All systems are up and running" message and the windows warning disappears and everything works as it should again.

My Windows firewall is switched off so there shouldn't be any conflict. I am sure that this is more than likely some sort of glitch with Windows but has anyone else ever encountered this and is there a solution?. I worry that my PC is unprotected even if only for a few seconds.

I tend to use the switch user function rather than logging off although I have tried it both ways and still get the same warning each time.
Thanks in advance,
Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:36 PM

hi bluesjunior, I also use the Comodo wall and love it. I too do see that momentary warning. Only since the last update. I'm waitng an answer from them. I feel it's nothing more than it just reloading to a new set of rules when you switch. As it comes right back everytime. I also see when I start up my Pc. Just that moment when it loads it says off ,but loads in the correct setting in a second or two. In other words I don't thik it's actually disconnecting as much as reapplying settings. I'll let you know the answer I get.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:10 AM

Thanks for the reply Boopme.

I think your right it is just a glitch of some sort and not really affecting computer performance at all. keep in touch if you find out anything about it from Comodo.

Likewise I think it is an excellent firewall.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 pitrevie

pitrevie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:12 AM

I found that if you go in control panel and select Security Centre then on the Firewall click recommendations. The option given there is that you have another firewall installed and its just that Windows doesn’t recognize the Comodo Firewall. I was getting the same warnings with the Comodo firewall and also regarding my anti virus for which the warning messages can be turned off in the same way in security centre just select virus protection.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

No it's not that. When I go into security centre it tells me Comodo is on and working, likewise with my AVG Antivirus.

#6 c.p.u

c.p.u

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:03 PM

the message i get every now & again usually after switching accounts is ''COMODO IS INITIALIZING'' but when i check the status in security settings it says the firewall is turned on.probably just a small glitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users