Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Range For Mouse + Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:02 PM

I have a slightly odd situation to ask about. I am building a new pc (all parts from newegg btw) and I need a wireless keyboard and mouse that will be able to receive FOR GAMING at around 20-25 feet. I had thought all RF wireless/bluetooth mice + keyboards were fine at 30 ft, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm partial to logitech, but would like to work this out without breaking the bank. I've searched for a while, and some reviews on products I've looked at say 30 feet, some say they get 5 ft.

I've got line of site to the spot i'll be using it, if thats any help.

Thank you!

-Ivan

Edited by T, 29 January 2007 - 06:44 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:22 PM

Well, there's always the cheap-as-dirt route of buying extension cables.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#3 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:02 PM

Heh, I guess that's true, but I'd rather avoid that route if at all possible. . .

Posted Image

#4 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:38 PM

Well I've looked a bit more, it seems bluetooth actually has a longer range. The only thing. . .Is it suitable at 20 feet for gaming? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Posted Image

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

Just one thing to keep in mind is that when the manufacturer tests these products, they're probably in an open room. If you have doorways that you'll be "peering" through, this will reduce your range. Also, placement of your reciever is important too...you'll lose range if you put it under a desk (like in a cubby hole) or behind the computer.

I've got a nice logitech mouse/keyboard combo (well, I think it's nice!) at home. I'll see how far away I can get with it tonight, then edit this post and let you know the make/model and the distance I got!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

Thanks in advance steve!

Posted Image

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

No problem! I could get about 12 feet away without having "line of sight" to the receiver. I can get about 20-22 feet with line of sight. It's wireless keyboard and mouse, and the mouse is a laser, so it dwarfs optical!

It's a logitech MX3000. Despite some of the reviews, I really like it. It was a bit expensive for my taste, but it is a wireless combo, and the batteries last a long time. The mouse takes rechargeable's, and the keyboard takes regular double A's that seem to last for every (I replace mine about once every 10-12 months). The software that comes with it is fair to ok for the average user....personally I don't use it, but it is easy to navigate with the keyboard through all your music.

For what you're looking for, I'd suggest you go bluetooth. I think that you'd get a better distance from it. RF wireless is ok, but I still feel that bluetooth will get you better results (keeping a connection at a distance).

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:07 PM

Actually that helps very much! I was originally looking at getting this combo, until I saw some reviews said they only got a few feet. I guess that is to be expected, eh? Some people have different interference and all. Do you run wifi or think you get interference from things like that? phones, microwaves etc.
Saw this on newegg and thought, oh boy no good:

Little dissapointed
Reviewed By: bananasek on 1/12/2006 Reviewed By: bananasek on 1/12/2006
Tech Level: somewhat high - Ownership: 1 month to 1 year

Pros: - Looks
- Both the mouse and the keyboard are very comfortable
- Great battery life

Cons: - Range is dissapointing, as you'll need to keep it within 5 feet to have a steady connection
- Keyboard lags
- Mouse drops the connection once in a while
- Software isn't the best on earth

Other Thoughts: Decent keyboard for casual office/home use, but almost useless for gaming.

Useless for gaming??!? =/ Oh well, can't believe everything you see. Only thing is, I have no retailers around here to test it out at, or return it to if I don't have my 20 feet.

Another idea, would it work if I got usb extension cables for the receiver? I thought this would maybe lag reception a bit, but I assumed range would no longer be an issue.

Another thing in my rambling post: I see bluetooth as a better option, but I can barely find any bluetooth keyboards + mice that seem suitable. The only one seems to be the fancy-shmancy logitech dinovo with bluetooth. I'd rather not drop 100 bucks on a mouse and keyboard =/ and it doesn't seem to be for gaming. Any recommendations?

Thank you all for help so far, I actually seem to be getting somewhere!

Edited by T, 30 January 2007 - 09:13 PM.

Posted Image

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:31 AM

You're right: Don't believe what everyone says. I do a lot of gaming with that mouse and keyboard, and have no problems at all. It's a laser mouse, so it's very accurate, and the keyboard works just as well as any other keyboard I've ever used, including the plug in ones. I've never had any of the problems that that guy/girl had, except for I agree that the software isnt' the best....but it's not the worst either! :huh:

I'm not sure about wifi and interference. I'd stick with the usb/wireless combo if it were me.

One usb extension cable shouldn't do any harm. There's a decent one HERE that's got good reviews. People complained when they put moer than 2 of them together....wich made it over 30 feet long. Duh! :huh:

Hope this helps! Please feel free to post any other questions/comments you might have! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:29 AM

Bluetooth should be good up to 30 feet. But they are a lot more expensive.

As a side note: Do not give any credence to reviews on Newegg whatsoever. They are completely and utterly worthless. 80% of the time the problems sits between the keyboard and the chair; the rest of the time they are outright lying.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:11 PM

Looks like that extension cable with the mx3000 is my best bet. I assume I would also have to get a ps2 extension cable then as well for the mouse right? Also, people mention about not getting much power for devices through that cable. The wireless receptor for the mx3000 seems to be powered just by usb. . .A problem?

Quick question. . .How long is the cable for the receiver of the wireless? Can't tell in any of the pics or anything.

Edited by T, 31 January 2007 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:50 AM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I worked 17 hours yesterday....and will be working a little late tonight too :thumbsup:

Looks like that extension cable with the mx3000 is my best bet. I assume I would also have to get a ps2 extension cable then as well for the mouse right?

Errrmmmmm.....dunno!!! If I remember correctly, my mouse/keyboard is set up a little differently....it plugs into the ps2 slots for the mouse/keyboard, then connect usb to the receiver wich is also a charger that has to be plugged into an electrical outlet (unlike the mx3000 shown on newegg, unless I'm mistaken, is only a reciever not a charger). Worst case scenario is that you'll need an extension for both usb and ps2.

Also, people mention about not getting much power for devices through that cable. The wireless receptor for the mx3000 seems to be powered just by usb. . .A problem?

They said that there's a power issue with connecting multiple ones together, like 4 or 5. I don't see a problem with one or even 2 connected. If there is a power issue, you could always get a repeater to boost the signal along the usb cord.

Quick question. . .How long is the cable for the receiver of the wireless? Can't tell in any of the pics or anything.

I believe it's about 3 feet long....just long enough so you can plug it in and put it close to your computer.
Posted Image

#13 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:33 PM

Alright, sound ok to me, I'll just get an extension for both and use them if I need to. Case closed!

Thanks for all the help!

Posted Image

#14 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:57 PM

No problem! If you need anything else, just post back, or start another topic! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users