Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Disconnects From Internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bjbmd

bjbmd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

Whenever I'm away from my laptop (Dell, Windows XP) for more than a few minutes, it disconnects from the internet, and I have to re-boot to re-connect. This is happening with my current wireless home network, but it used to happen when I had a wired connection. The internet signal strength is excellent.

Is there a setting I need to change, or is there just something wrong with my computer? Is it fixable or do I just need a new one? (I've already tried turning off the various hibernate features.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

bjbmd, some suggestions:

- since both wired and wireless had a common denominator (loss of wireless), have you checked your isp?
- how much memory do you have? Make sure virtual memory is set efficiently
- run CleanDisk from System Accessories to clear out cache
- defragment your the os drive in safe mode
- make sure you have the latest drivers for your wireless card (check manufacturer's website to update)
- make sure you have the latest firmware for your wireless router (also check manufacturer's website)
- check your cables to ensure they are in good shape
- run a good spyware scan (spybot, ad-aware, or avg-antispyware)

-Drymobius
drymobius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users