Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Os Is Not Telling Hd To Turn On At Start Up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Omar

Omar

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:03 PM

Hi, I don't know if this is an OS issue or hardware issue so please bear with me.

Problem:
I have a 3 year old Toshiba laptop. Last month, the frequency of overheating and sudden shut downs increased. This I believe caused my current problem (or not) of that when I press the power on button, the laptop powers up, fans turn on, and the Toshiba logo appears, but then the screen is black (actually there is a faint backlight). The Power LED is on, but the hard drive LED is off and it will stay like this unless I press F1 (which I found out by random), which for some reason wakes up the hard drive and then start up continues and I get the black Windows logo screen with the loading bar.

Measures taken:
I have cleaned out the heatsink so now the laptop no longer overheats and shuts down. And I upgraded my RAMs. I used to have two 256MB memory modules, and I replaced one of them with a 512MB module. The computer runs smoother and faster, but the start up is still slow and of course won't work unless I press the F1 button at the black screen.

Bottom line:
I feel that the OS when starting up is forgetting to turn on the HD but for some reason the F1 helps kick start. I am worried that one day the F1 solution won't work and then I will have no options. Please help.

Thank you!

Edited by Omar, 29 January 2007 - 01:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

During bootup, go into the BIOS by pressing Pause/Break key once. Look for "halt on all errors" or (instead of all errors) a related option and turn this option off.
drymobius

#3 Omar

Omar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

During bootup, go into the BIOS by pressing Pause/Break key once. Look for "halt on all errors" or (instead of all errors) a related option and turn this option off.

I went into the BIOS by pressing F2 at the first Toshiba screen. Went through all the settings but did not see anything related to "halt" or anything similar. The closest thing was "quite boot" with two options. Anyway, I exited the settings (without saving or changing anything) and then got this scary message:

SMART failure predicted on hard disk 0: XXXXXX
WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Press F1 to continue.

What does this mean? What should I do? :thumbsup:

Also, even if I did find the "halt" option, won't disabling it just be covering the error rather fixing it?

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

Check to see if your S.M.A.R.T. feature is enabled.

If it's enabled, then chances are you may be facing a bad hard drive.

Be prepared, and back up the hard drive or your important data.

#5 Omar

Omar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:36 PM

Wow.. here I thought it was something simple but turns out my drive could be dying. =/

I am sorry but how do I check to see if the SMART feature is enabled? And what do I need to back up my hard drive (aside from buying an external hard drive)?

P.S. I just did a restart and the SMART message did not appear. Could it have been a fluke?

Edited by Omar, 29 January 2007 - 06:52 PM.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:03 PM

It's possible it could be a fluke. But remember that when a hard drive is failing, things will happen sporadicly, which means you may see an error, and then you may not.

You can check your SMART feature through your BIOS. It should be enabled.

Also, I'm not saying your hard drive is dying out, but it sure seems like it.

To backup your hard drive, you can use another hard drive, then transfer everything on to it. You can burn your hard drive to multiple dvd's or cd's. I'd stay away from the cd's. They are only 650 -700M, where dvd's are 4.7 - 8.5G. But if you went with the dvd's, your burner would need to be a double layer burner in order to burn to the 8.5G dvd's.

#7 Omar

Omar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

I started reading about "how to back up" and read about another option called disk cloning. Can you disk clone to an external hard drive, or only to a computer with an operating system?

Thank you.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:09 AM

Toshiba laptops come with a restore image that reinstalls quite quickly. Backup your data and be prepared!

You can check your SMART status in Windows with this free tool: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Try running chkdsk /f /r from the Run dialog. It'll ask to execute on the next reboot. Select YES and reboot. Let us know what it says.

Blow out the fan holes with some compressed air, and only use the laptop on a hard surface (don't lay it on the bed where the blankets can obstruct the holes).

I suspect that the "quiet boot" option may be why you can't see the F1 message that the BIOS should display - try turning that off to see if you can see the screen then.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Omar

Omar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:18 AM

Great, thank you USASMA! Once I get home I will try them in the order you described and come back and post what happens. Tough I canít back up my data yet because I am still shopping for an external HD.

#10 Omar

Omar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:40 PM

To all members and advisors, first of all, thank you for all the great advice. :thumbsup:

I ran the Speedfan SMART test and it said:

Error: Reallocated Sector Count has reached its threshold. Current value is 1 and threshold is 5.

According to S.M.A.R.T. specifications, your hard disk is failing and needs to be immediately replaced. Backup your data as soon as possible.

Warning: Reallocated Sector Count reached, in the past, its threshold. Worst value is 1 and threshold is 5.

Here is the link to the full report

I read about this type of failure online and it seems that the "relocates" could have been caused by the constant overheating and sudden shutdowns before I cleaned the heatsink.

Also, I disabled the "quite boot" mode in the BIOS and it turns out I was getting a SMART warning telling me the hard drive is close to failure and "press F1 to continue" but the quite mode prevented me from seeing it. This explains why I had a black screen that only F1 got rid of it. :flowers:

Anyway, I have solved my overheating problem and now that we know the cause of my problems, what should I do? Should I:

1. Back up my data and defrag or format the disk, and hope it gets better because the heating problem is resolved.
2. Back up my data and replace the hard drive.

If is the answer is #2, then I have already looked at some HDs and want your recommendation. I have a Hitachi 2.5in 4,200 RPM ATA-6 60GB hard drive. I saw some nice 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM (is this too much for a non-gamer?) 80GB and 100GB drives, but what brand would you recommend? Seagate, Hitachi, Western Digital, Toshiba..etc? Also, is zipzoomfly.com a good website to order from?

Thank you! :trumpet:

P.S. I did not run the chkdsk /f /r due to a lack of time. Is it still worth running it to see if it will fix HD?

Edited by Omar, 03 February 2007 - 04:10 PM.

#11 Omar

Omar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:04 AM

Dear Moderator, can you please move my thread to the "Hardware" section?

Thank you!

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:53 PM

Backup comes first - unless you feel like risking the data that's on there. Every day at work we see someone who's lost their data - and the cost to recover it is just too darned high for them. So do it now while you can - you'll thank yourself later on!

Yes, run chkdsk /f /r - it may help and it can't hurt!

The decision to go with a new hard drive is your own. The old hard drive, having been subjected to stress from the heat, etc is more likely to fail than a new one. But no one can tell how long it'll be until it fails.

A new hard drive would take the worry out of that. I'd suggest a 7200 rpm version just to get a bit more speed out of the system. It won't make things blazing fast, but you'll wait less while the computer seeks stuff on the hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users