Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No More Clean Installs Using Upgrade Discs With Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

Microsoft adjusts its policy for user with Vista upgrade CDs

When it comes to the Windows Vista, Microsoft is changing a long-standing tradition when it comes to upgrading from a previous version of Windows. No longer will popping in a disc of a previous version of Windows during setup satisfy the people in Redmond when using an upgrade CD.

No More Clean Installs Using Upgrade Discs With Windows Vista
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:59 AM

Paul Thurrott has a workaround:

UPDATE: I haven't tested this yet, as I don't have Vista Upgrade media to test, but I'm told that Microsoft's internal documentation does explain how to clean install Vista using an Upgrade version. It appears to be more of a workaround than a true clean install, however. Here's what it says.

1. Boot with the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD.

2. Click "Install Now."

3. Do not enter a Product Key When prompted.

4. When prompted, select the Vista product edition that you do have.

6. Install Vista normally.

7. Once the install is complete, restart the DVD-based Setup from within Windows Vista. Perform an in-place upgrade.

8. Enter your Product Key when prompted.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:55 AM

Once agin M$ demonstrates its belief in its motto:

"The customer is always a potential thief; treat them as such"

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:58 AM

Doesn't this mean that if you want to re-install Vista, then you will have to FIRST re-install the prior Windows version and THEN the Vista upgrade?
Seems to be a show-stopper for purchasing the upgrade instead of the full release. Certainly not user-friendly, but certainly MS-coffer friendly.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:02 PM

Agreed....but with the new work around (i pinned it to this forum) you can save 100 dollars by doing the trial trick described by thurott

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:08 AM

I was able to get around this problem by upgrading, in a sense, from XP 32-bit to 64-bit. The 64-bit disc cannot be read in Windows XP and thus you have to boot to it meaning you can wipe out your HD and do a clean install. This is required anyway if your going from XP to any 64-bit version. Keep in mind that not all computers can run a 64 bit OS. I haven't had any problems with mine except for my sound card. For whatever reason, Creative won't be releasing an official non-beta driver for Vista, both 32 and 64 bit, until March. The beta driver runs ok, but there is some sound distortion if you listen closely.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users