Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going To Install Vista...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:35 PM

Hello All :huh:

I could use a little help in preparing my comp for installing Vista. I've run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor from Microsoft and it says that my comp is Vista ready...but upon further reviewing my hardware, and browsing on the net, I now have a few questions.

First, here are my specs:

DELL Dimension 5150
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz
2.8GHz Microprocessor, Pentium D
Video: ATI Radeon X300 SE, 128MB Hyper Memory PCI-Express X16
OS: XP Pro, Service Pack 2, fully patched as of Jan. 2007

I want to do a Clean Install (w re-format) with Vista Home Premium

Questions:

1) I need a Video Card - I'm going to upgrade to at least 256MB, and maybe a higher ATI Radeon like X1500 or something like that. Should I install this card BEFORE or AFTER installing Vista? Any other cards you would recommend.

2) I want to upgrade to 2GB RAM, 2 sticks, 1GB (1024MB) each. Currently, I have 2 sticks of 512MB each. I have 4 slots which can take a maximum of 1GB each. Again, should I add my sticks before or after installing VISTA?

3) Which order should I update my drivers to Vista compatible versions? Like, chipset first, audio second, video third, Removable media, etc. etc?

4) As far as you know, are the common security utilities, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Hijack This, etc. etc. compatible with Vista?

5) Many legitamite online retailers sell OEM versions of the software as standalone products. Is this allowed legally? If it is, would I have any problem activating the product? I'm already aware that if I purchase OEM software, I'm "on my own" for support. Just want to know if it's legal or not?

6) If I buy retail, it seems that everybody is selling Vista for the same price. Is the price regulated or could I save a few dollars by shopping around?

Sorry for the long winded message, :huh:

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,390 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

1) Installing before or after does not matter. What does matter is to make sure you absolutely have vista drivers available for it.

2) Not necessary to do before vista install

3) Not sure what you mean? Order for these are not really necessary. Just make sure you install the drivers one at a time with reboots in between to make sure its clean. Also chipsets will prob get upgraded during the upgrade

4) Ad-aware and Spybot work. HijackThis is a bit funky.

5) OEM versions are supposed to be installed with a brand new computer. Not upgraded parts. Also you are not legally allow to transfer the license to another computer. As you said, with OEM licenses you are supposed to support the product yourself.

6) It's pretty much the same everywhere right now.

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:57 PM

That'll do'er....thanks!
:huh:

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:15 AM

One thing you should do after installing the hardware if you have already installed Vista, is to run the Windows Experience Index again. Vista will automatically reconfigure your system to utilize the newly installed hardware more effectively.

3939.png

#5 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:29 AM

One thing you should do after installing the hardware if you have already installed Vista, is to run the Windows Experience Index again. Vista will automatically reconfigure your system to utilize the newly installed hardware more effectively.

Could you expand on that, or give a source? If correct, I find that interesting. I have been a beta tester for more than a year but have not come across that before. I cannot see any reference to it here.

help.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/f59082f4-6385-4a61-ba7e-2de9625a780a1033.mspx

I was aware that one could click "learn more about scores on line" and find out how to improve your rating. But no more than that.

Edited by uhaligani, 31 January 2007 - 01:34 AM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:21 AM

Let's see, I've got Ultimate so I'm not sure if it's different for the other versions, I don't think it would be though. I found it in Control Panel (not in Classic View), System and Maintenance, then click on System. The Windows Experience Index should be in the middle of the page. Click on it and just follow the on-screen instructions. I got a 5.0, apparently an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ was only worth a 5.

3939.png

#7 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:31 AM

I am well aware as to how to get the Performance index, but that was not my question. I meant this bit:
"Vista will automatically reconfigure your system to utilize the newly installed hardware more effectively."

Edited by uhaligani, 31 January 2007 - 05:32 AM.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,390 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:48 AM

Yes, I too have never heard about that particular vista app optimizing anything. From what I understand it just provides a score that you can use to determine if there is hardware there needs to be upgraded.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:21 PM

It doesn't optimize exactly, it automatically adjusts your appearance and other settings based on your hardware which saves time. I guess I should have been clearer.

3939.png

#10 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:05 AM

I think not. As a tester, I would still ask for your source, as, if you are correct, I will have to revise a few documents I have written.I cannot find any reference to this through offical (MS for one) sources.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:41 AM

My apologies, I seem to have mistaken an automatic setting for a feature. There is just so much in Vista that it is taking me a while to sort the various options out. :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users