Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Man arrested in tsunami death e-mail hoax

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:19 AM

Published: January 2, 2005, 11:10 AM PST
By Reuters

LONDON--British police said on Sunday they had arrested a man after a hoaxer posing as a government official e-mailed relatives of people missing since the Asian tsunami, saying their loved ones had been confirmed dead.

The hoaxer, claiming to be from the "Foreign Office Bureau" in Thailand, targeted people who had placed appeals for information about relatives and friends on the Web site of TV station Sky News.

Police said they had arrested a 40-year-old man and seized computer equipment. The man was being questioned at a London police station, a police statement said.

All the messages came from one bogus e-mail address, ukgovfoffice + aol.com.

"The British government would not use e-mail to convey news of the death of a loved one," police said. "Anyone receiving such an e-mail should treat it with utmost caution."

Complete article
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 10:40 AM

Are people now days just not using there heads? Did you here about people asking for donations to help people over there and pocketing the cash?

#3 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 03 January 2005 - 11:53 AM

people asking for donations to help people over there and pocketing the cash?

I'd shoot them on spot.. :thumbsup: Rat's like that deserve it.

What a sick bastard.. I'll never understand sick mind like that..
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:52 PM

As long as you said it first notorious!

I say the same should be x'ed.......

It aint fair the way the law works now anyways. Back in the olden days if you killed you were killed,if you stole your hand was chopped off and so on.

Its in the BIBLE just read it........

Bad the way this world is going to....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users