Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Add Or Remove Programs Or Browse Network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 martychibiroo

martychibiroo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:15 AM

Operating system: windows xp home
issue:
cannot use add remove program in control panel
cannot set program access or defaults
cannot browse network neighbourhood
this is on all accounts.

i am guessing it is a security issue set in the registry

is fixing friends computer.
someone who is no longer here did the above and i am sure did other things as well.
need to figure out how to fix this one and clean the computer up and protect it so this person cannot access computer remotely or do any other stuff to it.

ive been out of the computer field for a bit so need all the help i can get.

marty chibiroo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:19 AM

Have you tried a system restore to a date before problems occurred?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 martychibiroo

martychibiroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:15 PM

buddy,
i dont know when he did this and i wouldnt trust any restore points

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:15 PM

Attention this is a registry tweak!!!! Back up your registry PLease look at this guide How to back up your registry prior to doing so

So basicly your control panel is @#$%$#$ Nr. 256 right hand side.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:03 PM

Do you have administrative privileges?
Do you get any messages when attempting to access the control panel or Add/remove?
If this is a problem with access that has been blocked by password protection, the rules of the forum want allow members to assist in bypassing or changing the passwords.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

I'd suggest resetting the security settings to the default. Here's a KB article on how to do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users