Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word Perfect 6 problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jupiter

jupiter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 22 June 2004 - 05:44 PM

When I try to load Word Perfect 6, I get the error msg. "Cannot find SHELL.DLL". Then when I click OK, I get another msg. that is titled "Can't run16-Bit Windows program" and the msg. says "Cannot find file C:\Office\Wpwin\wpwin.exe (or one of its components). Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available." I had been using this program without any problems before, then one day I start getting this stuff. I haven't downloaded anything new (except adware and antivirus stuff suggested in another forum in Bleeping Computer.Com., and that was all after this problem occurred). I thought I could just reinstall it, but I can't get past these same error msgs. Would appreciate any thoughts you might have. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,622 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2004 - 06:09 PM

This was caused by the previous hijacker you had.

If you have the windows xp cd handle then do the following:

Click on start, then run, and type the following (substitute the $ with a space):

sfc$/scannow

and then press ok.

If you do not have a windows xp cd, you can copy the shell.dll file found in c:\windows\system32\dllcache into c:\windows\system32.

#3 jupiter

jupiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:13 AM

Hi, Grinler. Sorry for my delayed reply. I followed your instructions to reinstate the shell.dll file. I had to do it by copying it over. (I have my WP CD, but it didn't change anything.) Now I'm getting the message "Can't find SHWIND20.DLL. I looked in the dllcache folder to see if I could repeat what I had done with shell. dll, but shwind20.dll is not there. Other than that, everything seems to be running just fine. By the way, thanks for all the help you gave me with my hijacker problem. I really appreciate it.

#4 jupiter

jupiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:16 AM

Correction to my last reply. I meant to type "XP CD" not "WP CD".

#5 jupiter

jupiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:24 AM

Hey, I still have this problem and am awaiting a response from anyone who might be able to help me.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,622 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:08 AM

If you search your computer for that file can you find it?

#7 jupiter

jupiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:36 PM

I did a search and came up empty-handed. By the way, when the error message "Can't find SHWIND20.DLL" comes up and I click on OK, another message comes up stating "The shared code DLLs could not be loaded.", if that tells you anything that's helpful.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,622 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:24 PM

This is a required wordperfect dll file that came with wordperfect. Do you still have the wordperfect installation disks as you may need to install it again.

#9 jupiter

jupiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2004 - 06:48 AM

yes I do.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,622 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2004 - 12:28 PM

I would reinstall the program. Probably the only way to be assured its working properly.

#11 jupiter

jupiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2004 - 07:35 AM

I was able to reinstall this time. Everything seems to be ok now. Thanks, again, Grimler, for all your help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users