Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word - Where Is My File, Edit, Etc. Toolbar?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tripspike

Tripspike

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:04 AM

I have been using Word for 20 years or better and have come across something I cannot for the life of me figue out. The menu that normally resides at the top of the document with the File Edit View Insert Format Tools Table dow Help is not there. I cannot find it nor can I find any mechanism to turn it on. Please help I have been at this for two hours now and still can't figure it out.

Note: The menu bar does show up if I go to print preview. Other than that forget about it....

Thanks in advance,

Trip

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 29 January 2007 - 02:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:11 AM

Can you do a repair install of Office?I have been trying to simulate this but no way...

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:43 AM

Try pressing the <Alt> key followed by the down arrow key. This is the keyboard shortcut to select the File menu. Post back the results.

PS What version of Word are you using and does this occur only in Word or other Office Programs as well?

#4 Tripspike

Tripspike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

I tried the <ALT> key and the down arrow and nothing. I also tried the <ALT><F> combo and nothing. I am running Word 2003. This is driving me nuts. :thumbsup:

Trip

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:39 AM

Hi Trip.
Are you missing both the toolbar and menu bars or just the menu bar?
If you still have your toolbar visible, right click in an empty spot and select 'Customize'.
On the toolbars tab in the customize dialog box, make sure menu bar is selected in the list.
If it already is, or is not listed, click the "reset" button.
If you have no bars at all it may be in full screen mode. Press ctrl+v to see the view menu and shut off full screen. If it still doesn't work, you'll have to do a little more homework. See:

Your toolbars are missing, your menu bar is missing, or your personalized settings are not retained when you start Word

The Menu bar or the Minimize, Restore, and Close buttons are missing in Excel and in Word

#6 Tripspike

Tripspike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the input. I am missing the menu toolbar. I can't access anything using <ALT> key plus <F> fo File menu or <V> for View or <T> for Tools. I tried the links you posted but they did not help. Any other ideas?

Trip :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users