Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Ram Usage

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mykz78

mykz78

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:05 AM

Even at startup, my memory usage is about 85% used and only 15% free (using freemeter). I've eliminated unnecessary startup items in the msconfig panel; there is an average of 41 processes shown at startup.

At startup, i have the following figures from the task manager:

Commit charge (K)

Total 232176
Limit 619780
Peak 233100

Physical Memory (K)

Total 2252336
Available 22996
System Cache 97216

My system is: Windows XP Pro SP2, Intel Celeron M, 256 DDR2 RAM

What may be causing this high memory usage? Please help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:18 AM

Have a look in the Task Manager to see what's using up all your memory.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 mykz78

mykz78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:07 AM

at startup, usually...

explorer.exe has about 12,000 K,
svchost.exe about 6,000 K,
a few at the 2,000 and 1,000 K
and the others at the hundreds down to tens K level...

by the way, what's the appropriate page file size (max) for a 256 MB RAM? My page file size is at around 619 MB.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:20 AM

explorer.exe has about 12,000 K,
svchost.exe about 6,000 K,
a few at the 2,000 and 1,000 K
and the others at the hundreds down to tens K level...

These don't seem excessive to me. Your real problem is that you only have 256MB of RAM, which is a bit on the low side for running XP.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:31 AM

You should also have your RAM checked and also note that your hard drive could be failing. Your symptoms are part of what happens to a failing hard drive, which may cause high usage of memory.

#6 mykz78

mykz78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:45 AM

how do i have my RAM checked? and how do i confirm if my hard drive is failing? i just had this laptop 11 months ago.

Edited by mykz78, 29 January 2007 - 08:46 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:48 AM

Check your RAM with this free utility: http://www.memtest86.com/

Check your hard drive by downloading the free utility at the hard drive manufacturer's website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:29 AM

There is software and also a web site that you can use to check your RAM, but unfortunately the search function isn't working properly for me right now.

But you can go here:
http://www.memtest86.com
You can download software to test you RAM.

As far as telling if your hard drive may be failing you? Do this:

Run a defrag on your computer. And while it's defraging, you need to look for blocks of red. Usually they will extend a few lines long when hard drives are going bad. Those red areas are telling you that that part of the hard drive can't be moved nor written to.... and sometimes read from. If you have multiple lines of red blocks in your defrag process, you probably have a bad hard drive.

Since i've lost 2 hard drives in my life so far, the defrag process was the only thing I used to tell for sure, and it was accurate both times, because both hard drives are now gone.

There may be more ways to tell, but your computer has a built-in way to find out, and that's the defragmentation process.

If your computer defrags for at least 12 hours or more, you better start backing up your hard drive. But it will take hours to do, depending on the size of your drive. Once it starts,, leave it alone and go about your business because it will take some time to complete.

But look for either large sections of red blocks, or multitude of red blocks (spanning across many rows)...... and it will most likely be the indication of a failing hard drive.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:24 AM

I'm not sure that you have problems with the memory itself. Yes, you could add more RAM, but this also costs money which is a consideration. What you can do instead is disable from starting up what doesn't need to. You have 41 processes starting up. I guarantee you that on 256 RAM, which is what I have, that this is way too many. Check out BC's start-up list to investigate your start-up entries to find out what you don't need running at start up.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 mykz78

mykz78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:37 AM

But look for either large sections of red blocks, or multitude of red blocks (spanning across many rows)...... and it will most likely be the indication of a failing hard drive.

whoo, take a lot at this... what do you say?

Drive C before defrag

Posted Image

Drive C after defrag

Posted Image

Drive D before and after defrag

Posted Image

I've partitioned my drive to C and D.

Well, there were no long or multiple red lines during the defrag process. In fact, it only ran for an estimate of 10-15 minutes. Does this mean my hard drive is still fine? Huh, it's just 11 months old.

#11 mykz78

mykz78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:35 AM

I'm not sure that you have problems with the memory itself. Yes, you could add more RAM, but this also costs money which is a consideration. What you can do instead is disable from starting up what doesn't need to. You have 41 processes starting up. I guarantee you that on 256 RAM, which is what I have, that this is way too many. Check out BC's start-up list to investigate your start-up entries to find out what you don't need running at start up.

RAM is still too expensive, can't afford it yet. I've cleaned up the startup processes further (since i usually exclude unnecessary processes from even before), and is down to 36 processes. The rest are essential ones.

Hey, Orange Blossom, how many do you have at startup? if you don't mind, what's your systems specs?

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:44 AM

Have a look through your services and see if there is anything you can disable, which should free up a bit more RAM. See this link for more information.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:22 AM

There is software and also a web site that you can use to check your RAM, but unfortunately the search function isn't working properly for me right now.

But you can go here:
http://www.memtest86.com
You can download software to test you RAM.

As far as telling if your hard drive may be failing you? Do this:

Run a defrag on your computer. And while it's defraging, you need to look for blocks of red. Usually they will extend a few lines long when hard drives are going bad. Those red areas are telling you that that part of the hard drive can't be moved nor written to.... and sometimes read from. If you have multiple lines of red blocks in your defrag process, you probably have a bad hard drive.

Since i've lost 2 hard drives in my life so far, the defrag process was the only thing I used to tell for sure, and it was accurate both times, because both hard drives are now gone.

There may be more ways to tell, but your computer has a built-in way to find out, and that's the defragmentation process.

If your computer defrags for at least 12 hours or more, you better start backing up your hard drive. But it will take hours to do, depending on the size of your drive. Once it starts,, leave it alone and go about your business because it will take some time to complete.

Those red lines or large blocks of red don't indicate a failing hard drive. All they are is fragmented files. To test the drive(s) use the drive manufacturer's utility.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:55 PM

I've cleaned up the startup processes further (since i usually exclude unnecessary processes from even before), and is down to 36 processes. The rest are essential ones.

Hey, Orange Blossom, how many do you have at startup? if you don't mind, what's your systems specs?

I have 30 that run at start-up. After a while it goes down to 29. Note that my computer is a standalone, so I have disabled a number of services that a computer on a local network would need to have running. I also do not do automatic updates, I do all updates manually. You can see my signature for my computer specs.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#15 mykz78

mykz78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:36 AM

just got my laptop back from the service center.

they say there was a worm in my drive. the drive crashed and they replaced it with a new one.

well, things are working out quite fine now. this topic may already be closed.

thanks guys for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users