Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-fi Hotspot Security....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Onemorerun

Onemorerun

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

So, on a different forum page I asked a question regarding the dangers of wifi and what I could do security wise and the can's and shouldnt's. I am looking into signing up for a t-mobile service that would allow me wi-fi access at Starbucks, Borders, and various airports. I'm wondering what the real dangers are if I for example, really needed to that one-time check my bank account. And what security measures I should have up as a norm. Currently I am running XP Firewall, Zone Alarm, and have file sharing off.

Anyways, I got the below response from a guy.

"If you have to ask, then you don't understand. And probably never will. I could still poison you at layer 2 and if you don't understand the significance of certificates, I could then steal your online banking credentials and other credentials. Heh."

The guys right, I don't know and if I did I wouldn't be surfing various tech forums. Much of the information I have found is about wireless network security.

I am wondering what are the real dangers these days, and in regards what the guy said above, 100's of people sitting around plucking data from people on hotspot and public wi-fi connections. I have read that people can create destructive worms with tools these days with not a very high level of technical knowledge. Is this the same with people wanting to steal information and data of unsuspecting people using wi-fi technology. What exactly is the guy saying about "the signicance of certificates?"

I do not need to know how to do what the guy is saying, but is what he says a reality, and a common one.

Thanks

Edited by Onemorerun, 28 January 2007 - 10:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:45 PM

I have read that it is unwise to send any kind of sensitive information over wireless. My brother, a real computer whizz and an expert in computer security, says that while wireless is really convenient to the user, wireless also makes things really easy for the big, bad wolves. He has told me never to use it. On matters such as these, I trust him 100%.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Onemorerun

Onemorerun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:06 PM

I just read a service called Ironclad Internet Security. Creating a VPN for wireless connectivity.

http://www.jiwire.com/hotspot-helper.htm

Anybody know how ironclad this is?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users