Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fatal Error With Ad-aware Se

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wchilds823

wchilds823

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:40 PM

I was trying to use the preparation guide for a HijackThis Log post, and got to Step 4, Scan using Ad-Aware, and my system went into a fatal error shutdown. This is the second time I've encountered this while trying to deal with an identified ConHook infection that has never been successfully removed. I've had to delete Ad-Aware on both occasions and have not progressed past this step. I'm wondering if this particular trojan now has protected itself to cause this error. Any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:51 PM

That is possible. Do what you can with the cleaning tools in the guide. Make notes of what worked, didn't work, and what happened. Create an HJT log then create a new topic in this forum, not here and give it a good descriptive title. Briefly summarize what the problems are, what you have done to try to solve it, and what worked and didn't work and paste in your HJT log. That's where your notes are going to come in handy. :flowers:

After you post your log, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response in five days, add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users