Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Display...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 onetime

onetime

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

So, recently my screen has begun to glitch. I'm not sure what the proper name for it is, but by glitching I mean the little rectangular blocks appear. They show either windows that I've already closed or minimized. Another thing is that whenever I log into my account, the following message shows:

The instruction at "0x7c91142e" referenced memory at "0x77747570". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Then I click OK and then it shows this:

The instruction at "0x7c910e03" referenced memory at "0x77747570". The memory could not be "written".

Then it goes as usual. Oh, and there is significant slowdown on all of my stuff. So here is my HijackThis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:03:52 PM, on 1/28/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDLL32.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\IEEE 802.11g USB Wireless LAN\Wireless LAN\WlanUtil.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SkyTel] SkyTel.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GBB36X Configure] C:\WINDOWS\system32\JMRaidTool.exe boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDET] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBDrvDet] C:\Program Files\Creative\SB Drive Det\SBDrvDet.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KAVPersonal50] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\kav.exe" /minimize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: IEEE 802.11g USB Wireless LAN Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\IEEE 802.11g USB Wireless LAN\Wireless LAN\WlanUtil.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Anti-Virus Service (kavsvc) - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\kavsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:50 PM

Hi onetime,

Sorry for the delay. This forum is very busy right now.

I have checked out your log. The only thing I can see here is an old version of Java. This is a security risk but does not explain your symptoms.

From this topic:

I did a system format

Just to be clear, please confirm that you formatted C:\ and then reinstalled Windows from the install CD. You did this before you made the HijackThis log?

If you did that, where did you get the old version of Java?

Did you instead attempt a system restore?

You state in this topic that the computer now will not boot at all. Have you tried booting it from your Windows install CD? If not, please try that and report the result.

Dave

#3 onetime

onetime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:55 PM

I did the format before I posted the Hijack This log, and I've changed nothing since. And I have no idea how Java even got there.

When I say that I can't boot up, I mean that if I hit the "on" button on my computer, nothing happens. It refuses to even start. I can't get the disk drive open to stick the Windows disk in there.

And no, it was a format, not a system restore.

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:37 PM

Hi onetime,

Thanks for your reply.

The fact that your machine will not boot from a CD, won't even power on, proves that this is a hardware issue. Which is what I suspected from your description of the symptoms.

When this happened to me the problem turned out to be a failed CPU cooling fan, and the overheating resulted in exactly the sort of screen anomalies you describe.

It was a bit easier to diagnose because that was an old K6 system with an AT power supply. Pushing the power button actually delivered full power to the motherboard. Once I opened up the box I could just throw the switch and see that the little fan was not spinning.

With a modern ATX system the power button is wired to the motherboard, which is always partially powered (very low current) as long as the cord is attached and the switch is set to "On." When you push the button, the motherboard responds by sending a signal to the power supply to turn itself on fully and start delivering voltage to the drives, fans and the rest of the motherboard. That starts the POST (power on self test) process that I'm sure you're familiar with -- the enumeration of memory, devices and drives, which precedes the search for a boot record on one of the drives.

What this means is that a no-power problem might _not_ be the power supply, it could be the motherboard. Another complicating factor is that power supply failures sometimes damage the motherboard and/or CPU, so all three components need to be checked out.

You need to post your problem in the Bleeping Computer Hardware forum. There are professional computer techs who give advice there, they can suggest specific troubleshooting procedures for you to follow.

To help them, please give as much specific information as you can about your computer system. Power supply make and model, motherboard make and model, processor, memory, drives, and so on.

Edit: after you get your hardware sorted you will need to reformat and reinstall Windows on your hard drive. Any software installed when the system is misbehaving is almost certain to have been copied incorrectly to disk, and the corrupted data will cause all manner of problems.

Best of luck in getting your system working. As the Irish say, I'm sorry for your trouble. :thumbsup:

Dave

Edited by DaveM59, 03 February 2007 - 05:44 PM.

#5 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

Hi onetime,

Just wondering how you are doing with your computer repair.

Dave

#6 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:57 PM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic is now closed. If you want it re-opened, please PM me and put the url in your request.

This applies to the original poster only. Everyone else please start a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users