Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Dump

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hideo

hideo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:54 PM

Unfortunately I am having problems with my laptop as well (I have another post about my desktop on this awsome site as well. Anyway, I juast moved to a new place and when I log ontp my laptop , my LCD goes to the blue memory dump screen. The code read rw or rw5211.sys.

As a side note. When go to my parents place, where I moved from, my computer is back to normal. THIS only happens at my new place. My computer has a D-link wireless cardbus. This is how I got online at my parents. Is my computer dumping because it is using wireless at my new place to hook onto somebody elses wireless?

Thanks a bunch.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:31 AM

When you do a network scan do you see other networks? Do you have latest software for your D-Link?WQhat router do you have at your place?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:33 AM

I presume that the blue screen is pointing at rw5211.sys as the culprit. There aren't many references to it on the web, but a few point to P2P file sharing programs.

Because of this, I'd suspect first that there's an infection of some sort on your system that has evaded your current protection. As such, please run these 2 free, online scans (using IE) to ensure that your system is clean:

http://safety.live.com/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Please let us know the results of the scans and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hideo

hideo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:49 PM

Hi Fozzie. I have never done a network scan. D-link usually just tells me if I can get online or not. As for a router, I have a d-link router at my parents, where the laptop works. At my new place, i just wanted to see if I could connect to somebody. My sisters laptop works fine anywhere.

Hi Usasma. You presumed correctly. I will run these programs tonight.

side note: still working on my desktop problem. I am appreciating all this help.

#5 hideo

hideo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

Hello. It has taken 24 hours and housecall was still not finished scanning my system. I decided to then shut off my computer and run Adaware. I found nothing. So I then ran Spybot. Spybot found the following:

tibs.id (trojan)
winsoftware (malware)
tagasauras (trojan)
systemdoctor2006 (trojan)
errorsafe (malware)
direct track (unknown)
reliable stats (unknown)

My computer then worked quicker online and I ran housecall again. It finished in about an hour and 15 minutes this time. It came up with the following:

freeloader_winfixer
adware funproducts
adw_winfixer

I will run safety live tomorrow.

My computer is still not to full speed. As for my laptop dumping, I will have an opportunity to get online via wireless tomorrow to see if it still happening.

I use the free Avast anti-virus. Should I buy one instead? Is there anything else I need to do to stop these from coming back?

Thanks Again to you both. Still need time to work on desktop. Much Appreciated.

Edited by hideo, 31 January 2007 - 10:03 PM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:01 AM

The free Avast Antivirus is pretty good and I wouldn't buy one. But it's not good enough on its own. You need a decent firewall and some antispyware applications to go with it. AdAware and Spybot are a good start and I also like SuperAntiSpyware. Check this link for suggestions.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:07 AM

Greetings hideo:

Based on what has already been detected on your system, I suggest you follow the directions in this guide. Then create an HJT log, you will find the directions in the guide.

Create a new topic in this forum, not here and give it a good descriptive title. Briefly summarize what the problems are, what you have done to try to solve it, and what worked and didn't work and paste in your HJT log. You may wish to paste in a link to this thread as well so your HJT helper can see what has already been found and removed from the system.

After you post your log, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response in five days, add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users