Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yeee-haw!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

Well, I'm sure you can surmise from the title and description that my foray into building my first PC is a success! After a scare from dropping my CPU and trying to make all the connections that requires the skinny fingers of an anorexic Kate Moss. I started up my 'puter with my heart aflutter...then soaring after seeing a successful POST screen! Now I am joyfully installing XP and looking forward to maxing out the resolution, details, textures, etc. on Flight Simulator, FEAR, Half-Life 2, etc.

Oh, can I say just how damn QUIET the computer is? If you desire silence, get an Antec Performance 1. Big fans too, so you shouldn't worry much about overheating.

So, here are the specs of my new monstrosity.

Antec Performance 1 Case
eVGA NVIDIA nforce 680i SLi motherboard
700W Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4 GHZ)
2 Gb DDR2-800 PC6400 RAM
250 Gb SATA 7200 RPM HD
Samsung DVD-R/CD-RW Lightscribe Drive
2 NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (SLi)

Will upgrade the video cards maybe a year or so from now when Vista should be more stable and more DirectX10 cards will come out. Just hope I don't have to upgrade the power supply too as a result.

I'm just using the mobo's built-in HD sound. I'm partially deaf, so a high-end sound card for me is akin to that of gastric bypass surgery for a skinny guy...it's useless. I got what I need to appreciate sound anyway...a honkin' subwoofer!

So, can I consider myself as a semi-expert or even expert at hardware? :thumbsup:

Edited by Venek, 28 January 2007 - 07:48 PM.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:54 PM

Congratulations on your newly built computer. That should bring you so much joy and happiness to know that you've done what many people are scared to do. It's a job worth celebrating.

Since you built it, you know it better than anyone else, so take care of it.

You can call yourself an expert or whatever you'd like. You deserve it. As a matter of fact, you may very well be an expert at it, but you never knew it until now.

Keep up the great work, and good luck on your newly built computer.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:52 AM

A most hearty and cheerful congradulations to you!

Now that you've built it, do what I do: break it. That way you get to fix it :thumbsup: (disclaimer: Bleepingcomputer.com does not suggest the intentional damage to computers)

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:42 AM

That's great! Nothing (to me) is as satisfying as a new build coming together - especially one with such nice specs!

You can consider yourself an expert - until the next glitch hits. :thumbsup: Learning about PC's is a constant journey that appears to have no end. Just take it one step at a time and enjoy the experience!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

Well, as it turns out, I'm already having problems. Some kind of weird BIOS setup is supposedly defaulting my HD as a non-RAID drive and I have to enable it or something. Also, there's apparently an issue regarding the nforce 680i mobo with SATA hard drives. Now I need to learn about RAID and what the hell it is and what to do.

Can anyone give me a primer on RAID? I don't even know what it stands for...or even BIOS!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

The SATA issues can be fixed with a BIOS update. You can find instructions in the motherboard manual.

BIOS is the Basic Input/Output System. It is the first code run by the computer when it is started, which identifies, powers up and runs some diagnostics on all the hardware and then starts the OS. All the grey text on the black screen you see on the screen before the windows loading screen is the BIOS.

You shouldn't need to use RAID unless you specifically want to. It is used to spread the data over several hard drives to increase performance or give redundancy. To use it you need several identical hard drives.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:34 PM

Ahhh, I see. Thanks for that info. Now, should I update the BIOS immediately after installing XP? Or is there a way to update the BIOS before installing XP? eVGA's web site also has a fix for the SATA issue. Hopefully by going there right away it should fix the problem.

Now I gotta reinstall XP again...ay yi yi.

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:04 PM

If you have a floppy drive you can update the BIOS before installing XP. Otherwise there is an BIOS update program you can use to update the BIOS from within Windows.

INSTRUCTIONS: Mainboard BIOS updates can be accomplished through the following.

• FLOPPY (Floppy Disk and Disk Drive Required)
    o Download the following executable: NF68_P24.exe
    o Insert blank floppy disk into drive and run executable
    o Restart machine, and set floppy as the primary boot device
    o After flash, power off PC completely, on reboot load defaults in BIOS
  • NVIDIA System Update Tool
    o Download the following executables: updatecenter.exe and NF68_P24.bin
    o Select browse and locate NF68_P24.bin
    o Select load bios
    o Power off PC completely, on reboot load defaults in BIOS

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:27 PM

I DID get a floppy disk with the motherboard kit. I'm guessing this is the BIOS update they included?

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

Unlikely, if they already had a BIOS update when they sipped the motherboard they would just have updated the BIOS.

My guess is that the floppy contains the drivers needed for XP's setup to recognize SATA drives.

#11 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:58 PM

Yeah, you're right. Specifically it says SATA RAID drivers for the mobo. Since I don't really need RAID, do I even need to use this floppy?

I'm going to reformat and reinstall XP and try to use eVGA's hotfix on their website immediately after I install the drivers from the CD. Or should I not even bother with the CD and just use the hotfix for the BIOS?

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:28 AM

You may still need the SATA driver from the floppy to get XP's setup to recognize your hard drive.

You'll need to install both the BIOS hotfix and the motherboard drivers, of which you may find an updated versions on nVIDIA's homepage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users