Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Type Of Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kevin92

kevin92

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:34 PM

Hi, I am going to be updating my Windows XP Media Center Edition to the Windows Vista Home Premium, and I know that I can go either route (update, or clean install) is there any option that is more practical then the other?

Also, I have 2 x 250GB hard drives, so would it be possible for me to transfer them to one drive, install vista, then use the windows easy transfer tool, or would the drive have to be seperate?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:53 PM

My guess is it would be seperate.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

This post of mine discusses some of the issues with upgrading: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/79192/upgrade-confusion-in-vista/

MCE should offer both the upgrade and the clean install options when installing Vista. I'd recommend the clean install in light of the compatibility problems with a lot of applications. The new book "Windows Secrets" alludes to a Frankenstein like OS when taking the upgrade path.

As for your 2 hard drives - move all the data that you want to save to the non-boot drive and then clean install Vista on the boot drive. Then import the data into Vista once it's installed. If you get Access Denied errors - see this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/ While it was written for XP, most things are very similar in Vista.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:33 PM

Keep in mind, also, that upgrade versions must be started in XP or 2000. You cannot perform a clean install in the traditional sense but the installer will roll your old Windows XP installation into a folder called WINDOWS.OLD and may be deleted if you need the space.

3939.png

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

A new "workaround" for a clean install has been posted by Grinler here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/79852/how-to-perform-a-clean-vista-install-using-a-vista-upgrade-product-key/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:50 PM

Why did MS change the update process when they realized there were simple workarounds?

3939.png

#7 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:25 PM

So when I do a clean install, that would essentially wipe my hard drive, correct?

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:07 AM

In a bootable disc of Vista, during the installation there will be an option that says Upgrade or Custom. Upgrade is usually grayed out, clicking on Custom will allow for reformatting as well as partitioning. A clean install is wiping the hard drive and installing Vista on it. This is often the best way to install any OS.

3939.png

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:34 AM

XP MCE will allow the upgrade to Home Premium or Ultimate (along with the clean install) - any other path (Home Basic or Business) will result in a clean install being the only option.

I'd go with the clean install - it'll keep compatibility problems from surfacing due to the upgrade. A simple backup of your data along with a hard copy of your important settings will ease the transition.

Edited by usasma, 02 February 2007 - 07:34 AM.

#10 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:41 AM

Okay I have 1 more question, can someone please tell me what this whole DRM thing is? I don't undertsand it, I see all these forums with people saying they want control over their music and videos, and dnot wnating to be a criminal. Is it going to effect me if I have downloaded music?

#11 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

XP MCE will allow the upgrade to Home Premium or Ultimate (along with the clean install) - any other path (Home Basic or Business) will result in a clean install being the only option.

I'd go with the clean install - it'll keep compatibility problems from surfacing due to the upgrade. A simple backup of your data along with a hard copy of your important settings will ease the transition.

If that's the case usama, will one who has XP MCE need to reinstall all the drivers if they go with the clean install?
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:43 AM

Yes they will. But Vista comes with drivers (although they aren't the most refined) so most all of the hardware will work just fine.

Vista will, very politely, ask you for permission to go out looking for any drivers that it doesn't have (did this with my Hauppage PVR-250 TV card). Then, it'll locate them, install them, and inform you that they've been installed and are ready to use.

By all means update the drivers that you can get your hands on. Not all companies make Vista drivers - and you can sometimes use XP drivers in compatibility mode. But the Video drivers should be updated, as should the motherboard/chipset drivers (at a minimum). The few systems that I've tried to update haven't had any mobo/chipset drivers available - but that should be fixed fairly soon.

FWIW - I just helped a customer with compatibility problems with his HP printer. The HP site will give you a "limited" version of the driver and that the final version will be out in "early 2007". Checking compatibility is very important at this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users