Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microtek 4800 Scanner

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 awaitingjourneysend

awaitingjourneysend

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

I've had this scanner for over 2 years, from new. It used to work, but not for a long time. During that time, I've been replacing mobos, mem, hard drives due to power spikes and laying fresh OS images due to good ol' MS getting flustered, viruses, (power spikes?), etc. ENOUGH ALREADY of putting out fires!!!

With a new HD installed, I laid down a fresh image of XP SP2 and am reloading the drive with apps. I just put up new drivers for my hardware (yes, the scanner problem predates those updates) along with a new BIOS. So, I thought I'd like to get this scanner working again. Tried to update its driver with the latest for this model from Microtek, but I can't seem to install the new driver. In Device Mgr., I keep getting the message that it can't find a driver newer than the one already installed and its dated 12/4/01!!!

Has anyone else experienced this unique problem, i.e. - Won't scan past first INCH, it physically hangs, gives up and resets with no resulting scan!

Appreciate help from all comers.

Thanks, aje
Started as a CTX P2, but changed over time; AMD DURON XP 1600 MHz, 1GB mem, Syntax SV266A(D) mobo, WD 250 GB IDE, ATI Radeon 8500 A-I-W & Radeon 9250 (1 crt & 1 lcd), WinXP-SP2, Opera9, IE7 & compuserve4.0.2, Spysweeper and AdAware SE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

I understand your frustration..

Really, it sounds to me like you have some sort of mechanical problem in the scanner,

Try this just in case:

download the latest drivers from Microtek, and UNZIP all the files into a folder, such as C:\MT,

R CLICK, Properties on My Computer, select the hardware tab, click device manager, r click on the scanner, select update driver,
Select no, not this time, next, select install from specific location, next, select search for the best drivers in these locations, uncheck (Search removable Media), Check (Include this location in the search) click browse, and point to the folder where you unzipped the files , click next windows should find and load the drivers if they are XP compatible.

If this does not fix the problem I can loan you the Armys BFH to repair the scanner with.

(Just joking)

OF

Edited by oldf@rt, 28 January 2007 - 05:46 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:48 AM

Another thought--- some scanners have a mechanical transport lock try locking and unlocking the scanner.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users