Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound At All

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:10 PM

Hello All! I have searched the forums, & saw many audio related topics/issues, but none quite like I am having, so here goes!

This problem has plagued me for probably over a year. Mobo is Abit KV7V. About a year after building this system, this started occuring. I have no sound of any kind - no wave, mp3, even system sounds; it will work sometimes, & sometimes not. I have tried 2 different sets of speakers, they are fine. I have tried switching back & forth between the onboard sound & the pci sound card, makes no difference.

I will have sound upon booting, but aftere a couple of hours, it goes away. After I reboot, it will return only to leave again in a couple of hrs. This is a fresh install of Win XP, about a week old. Onboard sound is disabled in BIOS.

Previously I was thinking that my son's games were "breaking" it, but now after reformat, they are not installed, so that can't be the problem. Everything looks ok in dev. manager, don't know where else to look.

No spyware/virus/etc.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:11 PM

Re-enable your onboard sound in your BIOS.

Also, take out your installed sound card and try it that way. If the problem goes away, plug it back in and see if it happens again. If it does happen again, then the problem is with the installed sound card.

If the problem still happens without any other sound card installed, then the problem could most likely be your motherboard.

#3 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:13 PM

Also, take out your installed sound card and try it that way. If the problem goes away, plug it back in and see if it happens again. If it does happen again, then the problem is with the installed sound card.

Have done that in the past - still had the same prob. I am thinking the mobo as well...

Edited by cpumelter, 28 January 2007 - 06:16 PM.

#4 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:38 AM

would running dxdiag at the time of the problem offer up any clues? are there any logs I can view, diagnostics to run that would help sort this problem out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users