Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall & Netscape Connect

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jjoe

Jjoe

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:37 PM

I have installed xp pro recently and the windows firewall keeps discounting my netscape connect (dialup) isp every 9-10 min. I put a check in every box in the exceptions tab just to trouble shoot and it still does it. Does anyone Know it their is a conflict with this isp and the firewall? I have read that their is with the new vista os.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 28 January 2007 - 05:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:16 PM

Hello, I'm not a Dial up expert but I've found a list of troubleshooters that looked handy

Keeps disconnecting from the Internet. How can I fix this?
There are a couple of situations in which your computer would disconnect you from the Internet. A virus can cause it to disconnect. Windows Firewall was not enabled. You may be getting disconnected because your Internet connection idle time had reached the limit. Your computer has a time-out setting. To check your "idle timeout" setting:
If using Windows Dial Up Networking:
Double click on "My Computer" Double Click "Dial-up Networking"
Right Click over your Internet connection
Single click properties
Click the "Configure" button
Click the Connection Tab.
You should now see a check box with "Disconnect a call if idle for XX minutes". Uncheck this box if it is checked.

You may be getting disconnected because you have Outlook Express set to disconnect after you have checked your e-mail (pressing the send and receive button). You can check to see if this is set by doing the following:
Open Outlook Express
Click tools at the top
Click options from the drop down menu
Click the connection tab from here make sure there is NO check in "hang up after sending and receiving".
Click OK to save the changes
Done.
If you didn't see the connection tab, then click the dialup tab, From here, make sure there is no check in "Hang up when finished sending and receiving or downloading"
Click Ok to save the changes
Done.
http://www.library.beau.org/help/2006/inde...l#Disconnecting
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:30 PM

Are you SURE it is your Windows Firewall that is doing the disconnecting? If so what kind of message are you getting. The reason I ask is that if it were a firewall problem, I would think it would not let you connect at all. Is there a pattern (outside of a duration in time) of what you are doing when it disconnects? What message does Netscape give you when you are disconnected?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Jjoe

Jjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

boopme,I will check the things you have suggested. jgweed,No pattern,just every9-10 min. it will disconnect. I can connect and let it sit ideal or do what ever it just disconnects. It doesn't tell a problem ,just says thank you like it always does.

#5 Jjoe

Jjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:07 PM

boopme, I have tried everything and still won't stay on line. Ideal time is set at never turn off.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:32 PM

Can you try
Changing the phone cord.
Changing the wall jack you are connected to, (A different location) to see if there is a damaged cord or voltage changes from the wall.
As John mentioned the firewall should give an indication of why it wants out.

Edited by boopme, 29 January 2007 - 09:34 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 cycleway4

cycleway4

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:13 PM

jjoe.........I recently started having trouble with my netscape connect on our laptop, just as you describe, about 10 mins, and disconnect................never had previously.
did a google search,........found your post here...............

and remembered that just prior to the trouble occuring I had turned on the windows firewall because of using a wireless service..............

turned it back off,..............and no more disconnects.

thanks for your post!

Steve

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

Pardon me, but I have doubts that it's the windows firewall causing the disconnect. It might prevent you from connecting in the first place if the configuration is wrong (a long shot as the Windows Firewall does not block outgoing traffic which is why a third party firewall is better), but it won't cause disconnects unless you need to allow a certain internet address (ISP number, DNS number?) from your ISP in to maintain connection. With one of my former ISP's I had to enter two numbers for entrance permission - otherwise my connection would cease in short order.

Here are some other possibilities: the ISP has a policy that it will disconnect you after so many minutes of idle time. Idle time may be construed as you sending stuff out, not necessarily stuff coming in.

There is static on the phone line. This not only will cause disconnects, but may cause connection problems and slow internet speeds.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 soccaJ67

soccaJ67

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:47 PM

Hey, I have been having the same problems. I just got a new computer at the beginning of March and I kept being disconnected from Netscape Connect every 9-10 minutes. Sometimes I was lucky and got a few more minutes. I actually found that turning off the firewall does work. I've been online for 2 hours! Though of course, don't do that if you don't have antivirus software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users