Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Recover A Previous Version Of An Excel File?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 salli

salli

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

Hi,

So, I pulled a not-so-genious move and overwrote a file I definitely did NOT want to. Here's the story...

I had several files open on my computer when my dog laid down on the powerstrip and turned everything off. When I turned everything back on and opened the Excel program, it popped up with the "Recovered files" list on the left hand side.

To be honest with you, I wasn't paying as close attention as I should have been. I kind of sped through the list, assuming that everything was the current version of what I had just been working on. However, I realized that is not the case. One of the files must have been from a previous incident from last October, as that is the version that I told my computer to save. In fact, now that I think back, that file wasn't even open when this most recent event took place. I named the file the same thing, so it overwrote the correct version.

This happened last night. I've searched on help pages that led me to recovering my computer. I almost did that, but it said it would have no effect on document changes (which would be the only reason I want to do it).

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002. It was an Excel file from Microsoft Office 2003.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, this file is VERY important. :thumbsup:

Cheers!
salli

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 28 January 2007 - 05:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:01 PM

Ulp! That's a bad one. I have one idea, and this is a wild-shot, see if you can navigate to the temporary files and cache files of Excel. It might be that the version you want is in there somewhere. I'm afraid I can't give you more specifics of where to find those files.

Perhaps using search typing in a phrase specific to the version you want might unearth it. Choose "all files and folders" and "look in Local Hard Drives". Make sure you check the following options in the search panel: under "more advanced options" put checks by all the options. Note that this may not find the file even if it is still on the computer, you might need to search for a different file type or archived file type. Unfortunately, I don't know what extensions Excel uses for its cache and temp files, otherwise you could search for those file types.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:52 AM

I had a coworker with a similar problem (only with a Word document. I solved it mush the way that Orange Blossom described.

Try searching for *.XLK (Excel backup files).

#4 Allan Christiansen

Allan Christiansen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

Hello, that is an easy one. :thumbsup:

Before you open the excel file. Right click on the file, click options, click properties, click Previous versions on the right of the tabs.

Hope this can help you.

Allan

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hello, that is an easy one. :thumbsup:

Before you open the excel file. Right click on the file, click options, click properties, click Previous versions on the right of the tabs.

Hope this can help you.

Allan

I'm afraid that only works on server versions of Windows or in desktop versions starting with Windows Vista where the Volume Shadow Copy service is enabled and the "Previous Versions" property sheet handler is installed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users