Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event Viewer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Paul-uk

Paul-uk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

Hi, am having an intermittent problem for instance it happened at 12.20pm today and then not again until 19.38pm. My PC just stops responding and I have to reboot. I have run eventvwr and the error is always due to Service Control Manager and the error codes are 7000 followed by 7001.
When I click on the problem it refers me to microsoft but I am unable to rectify it.
If anyone has come accross this or knows of a fix it would be appreciated. Thank you.

I am running XP professional, on a home built (ex novatech) system running amd athlon 3200. with 2 x80gig hard drives.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

When you double click on the error in Event Viewer look to the right for the clipboard button (it is under the two arrows). Click it then open Notepad, right click in Notepad and paste. Copy & paste the contents here.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 28 January 2007 - 09:08 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 Paul-uk

Paul-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

Thank you MrTerrorist.

When I started my PC for the first time this evening I got the error messages here are the logs:-

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 29/01/2007
Time: 17:07:36
User: N/A
Computer: PAUL-4Y020M7053
Description:
The Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event ID: 7001
Date: 29/01/2007
Time: 17:07:36
Description:
The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service depends on the Universal Plug and Play Device Host service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

Start>run>type "Services.msc" and check the service "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and the Universal plug and play device host service. Right click and select proerties. Make sure it is set to automatic. As far as the live updater, that is coming from Norton I beleive. Reinstall any norton utilities you have.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 Paul-uk

Paul-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

Thank you, I have set them both to automatic. WMP was already, but the other one was disabled.

I uninstalled Norton a long time ago as it was causing so many problems, surprise surprise. Perhaps there are remnants somewhere.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

Which Norton did you have? if you really want to get rid of them completely including any mention in the registry you should run a removal tool. there are different ones depending on the version.

#7 Paul-uk

Paul-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for your help.

I had norton internet security 2006 I think.

I have looked at services.msc and seen that one of the entries was c/program/common files/ symantec.
so i have removed this manually.

Hopefully fingers crossed.

#8 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:15 PM

I've used this tool to remove Norton completely from my system.

http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgen...004030411260104
drymobius

#9 Paul-uk

Paul-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:52 PM

Thank you.

When I logged on this evening, my PC stopped responding and I had to re-boot, once I had re-booted everything is ok, I ran the eventvwr and I once again got the 7001 error message.

This was before I downloaded and ran the norton removal tool. Which I have now done.

I will have to wait and see tomorrow evening, when I start up for the first time, tomorrow.

#10 Paul-uk

Paul-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:16 PM

Hi, I have just checked my eventvwr and although the PC has not crashed and kept going I have noticed this:-

Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10005
Date: 30/01/2007
Time: 22:30:29
User: PAUL-4Y020M7053\Paul
Description:
DCOM got error "The dependency service or group failed to start. " attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56}

Event ID: 7001
Date: 30/01/2007
Time: 22:30:30
Description:
The Universal Plug and Play Device Host service depends on the SSDP Discovery Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

#11 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:47 PM

Go to Start > Run and type services.msc and press the <Enter> key. Scroll down to Universal Plug and Play Device Host and double click on it. Set the Startup type to Disabled and click the Stop button if the service is started then click OK. This is an unnecessary service that can be a security risk. Make sure the SSDP Discovery Serice is disabled also. DCOM Server Process Launcher should be set to Automatic and started.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 30 January 2007 - 06:48 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#12 Paul-uk

Paul-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:28 PM

Thank you again.

I first booted my PC up a few minutes ago and it worked ok !!!!! It didn't freeze!.

I have now run services.msc and disabled univ. P&PDH, I have disabled SSDPDS and DCOM was already set to Auto and started.

Thank you - fingers crossed.

#13 Paul-uk

Paul-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:15 AM

My PC seems to be running better now. It boots up and doesn't freeze.

I ran eventvwr and still see the error 7001 reported, this appears to be at start up and not at any other time during a session.

This would indicate to me a possible error in the start up events. So any further suggestions please.

Thnak you very much for your suggestions and help so far it is appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users