Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:47 PM

I just got my new computer about 3 weeks ago, installed with XP-SP2. Now, Vista is being released Tuesday.

The place I got the computer recommended I didn't upgrade just yet, since it's brand-new and could still have bugs. My friend is getting a new system on Wednesday, with Vista Home Premium installed.

Also, another friend's friend supposedly BETA tested for Vista and got a liscense with 50 uses. He keeps pushing me to get Vista and just use his key, but I'm afraid it might not be very legal, or may be a BETA key itself. He had Vista running on his laptop, and he said it was the final version, even though it read "RC1" down in the lower-right corner - but he said that's just because of the install disc he used, and he could legally download the full version and just use his key. Does this sound too good to be true?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

Also, another friend's friend supposedly BETA tested for Vista and got a liscense with 50 uses. He keeps pushing me to get Vista and just use his key, but I'm afraid it might not be very legal, or may be a BETA key itself. He had Vista running on his laptop, and he said it was the final version, even though it read "RC1" down in the lower-right corner - but he said that's just because of the install disc he used, and he could legally download the full version and just use his key. Does this sound too good to be true?

RC1 is not the final version...it smells fishy to me...how did he get a license for 50 users (which Vista OS)?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

Your friend is likely "blowing smoke" - the final version doesn't have the RC1 branding. If he's using an RC1 key, it will likely expire in June 2007. Meanwhile, should he need to reinstall, he won't be able to activate it. In my experience there's no linkage between the desktop branding and the hacks that are available.

The "50 uses" seems like a trial version to me - after 50 it's either buy it or stop using it. But I'm not aware of this sort of "program" and I have been using Vista for about a year now.

Certain beta testers are provided with a copy of the RTM release - and this is usually linked to the submission of bug reports that Microsoft has used to improve the betas. As such, he should have received several emails from MS about the bug and telling him what version the bug fix would appear in. That's how I got the version that I'm running while I type this (I submitted a video bug and a network bug that were ironed out after RC1 was released).

Generally the purchase of a new computer only a couple of weeks ago means that you'd have received a voucher for an upgrade to Vista. Go ahead and use it. You don't have to install it, but you'll never get a cheaper price on it - so take advantage of the offer.

The choice to upgrade is yours. The trade off is that you'll be using the latest OS - but you'll also have to put up with it's quirks until they're ironed out. FYI - there's still difficulty in getting some apps to work with Vista - so you may want to wait until your apps are updated for Vista. I've "forced" my favorite apps to work in Vista - so I'm quite happy with what I have now.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users