Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System crashing when gaming

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sanzar

sanzar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 03 January 2005 - 05:24 AM

Hi, I've just recently bought a custom made computer with specs as follows:
CPU=AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (gigabite fan)
RAM=1024meg kingston dual channelled
HD=WD 80gig
Motherboard=ASUS A7N8X-E delux
Bios=1013 (final)
VGA=MSI NX6800GT TD256
VGA_Driver=66.93
Other=Tsunami thermaltake case, fully updated Windows XP pro sp1 installed os

Anyway my system keeps crashing (and almost always automatically restarts the computer) after short periods of playing games... It doesn't slow down or seem like it can't take the detail (which I have tried reducing), it just crashes after what seems like a random amount of time... It's also crashed once or twice just in windows, but that's pretty rare... Does anyone know what could be causing this???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Movian

Movian

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:28 AM

what Psu are you using ?
if its just a simple 300 watts , it could be that there is insuficiant power for the kit.

also if its suported try finding out the cpu temprature as Amd chips have a built in feature to reboot the pc if it gets too hot ....
trust me i know :thumbsup:

#3 sanzar

sanzar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:16 AM

what Psu are you using ?
if its just a simple 300 watts , it could be that there is insuficiant power for the kit.

also if its suported try finding out the cpu temprature as Amd chips have a built in feature to reboot the pc if it gets too hot ....
trust me i know :thumbsup:

The PSU is 420 and I know what you mean about the tempereture thing, thats the reason I went and got a gigabite fan, the thing kept saying "CPU fan failed"... now it runs at about 36 on boot and doesn't ever go past around 47©.
Also, You won't beleive this, but when I got the new fan put it, on my way home the handle on the box containing my system snapped and the thing dropped around 10cm... It was incased in foam, but it still shook the fan off and I've replaced almost everything but the ram at this point...

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:55 AM

What are you using for anti virus and a firewall, etc?

Do you have a DVD burner or CD drive and if so how are they hooked up (master, slave?)

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 sanzar

sanzar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:43 AM

What are you using for anti virus and a firewall, etc?

Do you have a DVD burner or CD drive and if so how are they hooked up (master, slave?)

I have a CD burner and a DVD rom, the DVD being the slave.
I have Norton

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:57 AM

Random crashes can be caused by viruses like Blaster and Sasser. Go to Panda online scan and lets get a second opinion on the virus situation.

The fact that you dropped the tower indicates that you may have knocked something loose. If you feel comfortable doing it, suggest you open the case and reseat the ram and any cards in there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users