Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspicious Outgoing Mail, Outlook Express 6.0

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chuckm51

chuckm51

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:33 PM

Hi all,

Hope everyone has power and is mostly warm...we're expecting a deep freeze (relative) here in Texas this week.... :thumbsup:

Twice recently, in my outlook express 6.0, the incoming mail has included a "mail delivery subsystem" message telling me an email I sent out was not delivered. The problem is I didn't send the email. no one else uses this computer, so...

something is apparently up.

I looked over the forum topics and didn't see anything about this.

What do I do? How do I identify why these are going out? I erased the first one; the second one is still in my in box.

Thanks for the BEST info source I have seen. I was talking to a tech guy for Dell, who was in Ottawa. I told him I was doing diagnostic stuff relying on recommendations from Bleeping Computer. He said it was the best source for good info...!!

Thanks again in advance.

chuck in austin

p.s. this is one of 3 posts for me this am...I have 2 other adware issues today.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:33 PM

This is typical of a spammer using your email address as the sender email address in a spam run, or some virus using your email address as the sender. It might not even be related to your visit to a web site.

You could make a special folder, then make a Mail Rule that moves all mail have the name "postmaster" in the FROM header to that folder. This would cleanup your inbox and still allow you to check (if you want) for any valid mail rejections. Then periodically just delete that folder and make a replacement for the next batch. It will clear up eventually.

Or you could just delete the e-mails without opening them.

Hope this helps and stay warm!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:49 PM

The message itself may not even be a reply to a sent message of any sort but rather spam in and of itself. I've received a few of those in the past.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

This is also a sign that your computer may be infected, & that there are emails being sent our without any intervention from you. I noticed in your post here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/79516/cant-remove-spywarebot-vestige/, that you are having problems related to your computer. I would recommend that you continue to follow Orange Blossom's advice that she has given you there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users