Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Xp Reverts To Win 98 Appearance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:56 AM

Hi Guys,

I've noticed something in the last couple of days.
When running my laptop, no differently than usual, it suddenly freezes up and the blue bar at the top of any open or cascaded windows, the task bar, start button etc, all change back to look like they did under Win 98.
The old style grey harsh rectangles.
After a couple of moments, this rectifies itself, but usually at the loss of something like the use of my soundcard, or my ADSL connection ( perhaps these are unrelation to the display issues )
The solution to get everything back to full operation again is to reboot.
I've just been speaking to a friend, who occasionally askes for my help with his PC and he just described the exact same symptoms, however his display does not rectify itself and is left with the Win 98 styling.
I guess the XP appearance scheme is just a mask placed over the original formatting for windows, but my questions is, .. what would cause this to falter or drop ??

Any help would be very much appreciated as always.
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:59 AM

Have you scanned for viruses, spyware and other malicious programs?

#3 carnivalofsorts

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:09 AM

Andrew, thanks for such a quick reply.

I've run a few scans last night, and im in the process of running more now.
I've several scanners that i use regularly so im pretty well protected most of the time, but a moment ago, i tried to go to gmail.com and was re-directed to www.fabulous.com so im pretty confident one of these scans is gonna throw back a problem.
Just a waiting game now.
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

#4 TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:36 AM

If you are being redirected I would suggest doing the following.

Read this: Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Instructions for receiving help in cleaning your computer

Then post a Hijack This log here: HijackThis Logs and Analysis
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users