Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Wireless Connection After Deleting Norton

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:55 AM

After running the Norton Removal Tool (AutoFix Tool) to rid my laptop of every Norton product on my WinXP system (find.pcworld.com/55524), I cannot connect via wireless. I think the tool removed some registry entries related to Norton AV and/or other products. I do see the little radio icon on the taskbar of my laptop. However, instead of automatically flashing from white to green when the desktop boots up, and saying I'm connected-Excellent-54 Mbps, it just goes to a yellow state and says wireless network found, but does not connect. Furthermore, when I click the icon's balloon for additional info, the following message appears, "Failed to update profile list. Profile database in use. Please wait for Intel PROSet/Wireless to update the profile list." You guys have saved my bacon several times, so I'm counting on you for an encore. Thank you very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:54 AM

Try updating the wireless drivers from the manufacturer's website. This "should" fix it if it's driver issue. If not, then it's on to trying to repair the Windows portion of your connection. That may be very time consuming, so you may want to consider a repair install of Windows to save time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:55 AM

Solution found. I went to www.intel.com and found out my drivers/software versions were old; came with the laptop's original configuration. I downloaded the new software from another computer onto a flash drive, then executed the install on the laptop. What a relief to see the little radio icon turn green, with an Excellent 54 Mbps. Intel also has a neat tool you can download (also on my flash) that, when executed on the computer in question, will tell you what wireless software, driver version, etc. you have.
drymobius

#4 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:58 AM

usasma, I should read the posts before posting my own. Thank you very much for your suggestion. I think we crossed paths on this one, but seems like I'm connecting with you and others in the forum. I must say that since joining a week ago, I've learned a ton from all of you. Many thanks for your advice, and I truly admire the members for giving their time and expertise to help others.
drymobius

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:42 AM

Hi drymobius! Doesn't matter who posted what, all that matters is that it's fixed for you! Nice work!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users