Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crc Check Always Fails

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mwstein123

mwstein123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:30 AM

For the last few days, every time I download a program, usually games, when I try to unzip the program I get an error. The error is crc check failed.
It has happened on mutilple programs from mutiple suppliers.

I ran Spy Bot and Ad Aware and the each found problems that I deleted, but I still have the same issue.

Any ideas?

Running Windows XP home with all updates.

Virus software is AVG.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:51 AM

Are you on dial-up or a high speed line? Chances are your files are getting corrupted during the download. Also, if you're on dial-up and you are having some trouble with it, it might be that the phone line in your house is miswired - the pair of wires being used may be reversed. I have a tester for that and have often found reversed lines in people's houses. You can use the internet but it often has problems or is slow.

Otherwise, it might be your memory or some other hardware problem.

#3 mwstein123

mwstein123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:55 AM

I have DSL line. This wierd thing is this problem has just started.
I have been using this computer with 750 meg of ram, AMD 2800 processor on this DSL line for 2 years.

This crc problem has only occured in the last few days.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:52 AM

Possible corruption in the unzip program, your downloader/browser, or the downloaded file itself. Try uninstalling and reinstalling your unziping program - if it's the Windows tool you may have to try a repair install.

Also, some of what you removed with the antivirus/spyware programs may have damaged your system (and it wasn't repaired).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 mwstein123

mwstein123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:14 AM

I put a new Winzip on my system and this problem has not gone away.

On a regular basis, when I download an update or program, I get a error message that the file is corrupt and cannot but unzipped. It does not happen every time so it is sporadic.

Is there downloadable software that will confirm that my registry is in good shape or will I have to reload Windows?

I tried a Windows repair, but it asks for my administator number. I never put an administrator number on this sytems so I have no idea what that would be. It's an E machine so there must be a default one.

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:47 AM

When the screen pops up asking for the Aministrator password leave the password box blank and press the <Enter> key.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#7 mwstein123

mwstein123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

Ok Still have the problem!

I got rid of my zip program and downloaded a new version of Winzip.

No change

I tried to fix Windows XP home but it asks for a password. I tried leaving it blank. It will not except blank.
And I know that I have never put an admistrator password on this emachine.

My guess is there is something corrupted in my registry.

And suggestions out there?

Every time I download a program, it says that the file is corrupt and can't be opened...

#8 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:10 PM

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users