Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At A Loss

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:49 AM

Hi,
my dad called so I went over, his XP Mediacenter runs fine, no slow downs, no problems. But when he shuts down the computer it locks up, most of the time. He said it's been doing this for a few months and getting worse. I ran CCleaner, Adaware, Spybot and his antivirus, no virus, and it did not help.
As for system specs, all I know is it's an Emachine, 1gig ram, 120gig HD, AMD64.
Any Ideas, short of formating? He can't remember how far back it started so does not want to try a system restore.
Thanks
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:02 AM

check for any hanging programs during shutdown and note them, If you can't see any just use task manager to note which one takes the longest to shut down

if all else fails try a repair operation lol I was going to say system restore but obviously that's impossible since its been months

#3 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:58 AM

Wild, see Fozzie's reply to my post of a similar problem about slow shutdown: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/79279/winxp-slooooow-shutdown-manual-off-needed/
drymobius

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:07 AM

Thanks guys,
some of the stuff has already been done, I'll make a list and give it a try when I get over there next time.
:thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:08 AM

OR------
You can check out the extensive discussion that ensued here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/75853/shut-down-time-triples/

As many many quite helpful suggestions were provided by the good folks here at BC!!!!!!!

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for the help, I got over there today and removed GoBack and a couple of other things. He still has Norton Antivirus, won't give it up yet. But so far it's made a huge improvement in the speed and shuts down normally.
Thanks again :thumbsup:
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users