Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformating Hard Drive And Installing Windows Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dan9119a

dan9119a

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:36 PM

I am having major problems with my computer running so slow. I have downloaded the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs that are suggested on this sight and can find nothing. I am so frustrated, my computer used to be much faster. Now it is almost unusable. I have considered buying a new copy of Windows XP Home and starting all over by completely deleting my hard drive and reinstalling the new copy. Will this fix my problem and make my computer run faster like the good old days

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:59 PM

Reformatting your computer will make it run like brand spanking new. Before you do that drastic step (which i do at least twice a year), go to Start>Run> and type MSCONFIG and hit ok. Go to the tab that says "Startup" and disable everything. Most times people have too many programs running at one time at start up. IE my father in law with his massive 50 startup programs running on 256MB of memory. UGH! But anyways, if your having problems with Spyware n such, I recommend the combination of Yahoo Toolbar with Antispy, and Windows Defender. Both are free to download and are very great at catching items. Good luck to you and I hope this help. Please post feedback

Gavin Seabrook

#3 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

press control alt delete when you startup and go to processes under there take note of how many are running and how many are actually from your user name

then Id go into msconfig and disable them if plausible,

disabling all won't disable anything windows related and in fact some of the programs you supposedly disabled will come back without you even saying so, So be prepared

also while you're in the processes in task manager take note of which programs are running the most memory and post back here, they may in fact be infected and whatever you're using just isn't picking htem up, which in my case, Ended badly for me :thumbsup:

Edited by resp, 28 January 2007 - 12:24 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:24 AM

"mature" installations of XP suffer from "bloat" - it's that junk that's added in over time on a system that slows it down. A good place to start would be this thread that's pinned at the top of this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:43 AM

Go to the tab that says "Startup" and disable everything.

I would recommend against disabling "everything". If you recognize a program name as being something you want/need (like your Antivirus) leave it enabled; if you recognize a program name as something you don't want/need (examples from my computer: Acrotray [an Adobe Acrobat Program], qttask [a Quicktime program], all disabled) then you can disable them; programs which you do not recognize, do a Google search and/or check the Startup List here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/, post back to this thread too for additional help.

Summary: Don't disable what you don't recognize. Research, consult, then act.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users