Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Install Mcaffee Virusscan Plus 2007

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ohfer

ohfer

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

I attempted to install McAffee VirusScan Plus 2007, but stated there was a conflict with Ad Aware and would not install. I removed(I thought) Ad Aware with Add/Remove, installed again, and still stated Ad Aware was still on my PC. I did a search and found a misc. file and deleted it. Still, it shows I have Ad Aware and I searched and cannot find it anywhere. Hence, I have no virus protection. I have WIN XP Home SP2.
Any help appreciated.
Thank you, Tom.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:58 PM

Just out of curiosity did you restart your computer after your removal of Adaware?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 ohfer

ohfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:05 PM

Hello Animal. Yes, I have restarted 3 times and it still states I have Ad Aware on my PC. I have looked everywhere for an uninstaller to see if that would help, but cannot find one.
Thanks, Tom.

#4 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:58 AM

Try to use regitry cleaning program (for example RegCleaner). Maybe there are some undeleted keys in the registry, after AdADWare uninstallation.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:57 AM

Attention this is a registry tweak!!!! Back up your registry PLease look at this guide How to back up your registry prior to doing so

Download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

reboot and try again to install

#6 ohfer

ohfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:48 PM

Thank you Micht and Fozzie. I will try the links and retry the uninstall. So far, it still shows I have AdAware somewhere.
Thank you both again.
Tom

#7 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:46 AM

Did you buy this program? If not, why not install a free AntiVirus program like Avast or AVG Free?
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:25 PM

See if this helps:
Virusscan refuses to load if Ad-Aware program on p.c.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 ohfer

ohfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:37 PM

I did download Antivir so I could have some protection. I do have a new problem now though. My PC will not let me uninstall the partial program of MCafee I was able to uninstall. I've tried everything. Thanks to everyone for your continued support. Win XP Home SP2.
Take care, Tom.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

Have you tried uninstalling it in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

You can also try to complete the McAfee install, then uninstall it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

Realy - try to uninstall it in safe mode...

#12 ohfer

ohfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:41 AM

I think I've remedied the problem. I manually uninstalled everything, took Mcafee back to the store, got my refund, then went with Trend Micro AntiVirus plus AntiSpyware 2007. I spoke with a Geek Squad member about this program at Best Buy and he recommended it. It installed fine, did a good scan, got rid of some spyware, and fortunately I had no virus problems.
Thank you to all who have helped me through this.
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users