Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 7 Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gretchen

gretchen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:38 PM

I'm having a problem opening the comast.net website which may have something to do with the phishing filter utilities in IE 7. I'm running XP home edition with all the latest updates and installed IE 7 about a month ago. After several weeks without problems, I am suddenly unable to open the comcast.net site. The phishing filter icon in the tray flashes wildly and claims to be checking the site against the MS phishing database. Alas this task is never completed. When I manually ask for a check of the site, I get an IE error message to the effect that the Microsoft site against which this operation is to check is currently unavailable (and has been for about the last 5 days). Went through a long trouble shooting call with Comcast, and they too concluded that the phishing filter was the likely culprit (though turning it off doesn' cure the problem either) and to contact Microsoft. Well, you know how that goes $$$. So before I spread money on this problem, I'd like to hear from the experts on this forum for ideas/similar problems/possible cures

Edited by gretchen, 27 January 2007 - 09:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:56 PM

Hi gretchen and Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

There are numerous reports of this problem and it is suppose to be related just to the Beta versions of IE7.
Read This article.

The Micro$oft people are trying this fix;

Go to Start/ Run. Type in: regsvr32 /u c:\windows\system32\ieapfltr.dll.
Click OK to any messages you get.

Then go back to Start/ Run and type in: regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\ieapfltr.dll

After a reboot, try one of the phishing sites.

Hope that helps!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 gretchen

gretchen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:33 AM

Thank you, Tmack.

Before I attempted the steps you outlined as a potential fix, I followed up on the article you suggested. As a consequence I downloaded something called the 'User Agent String Utility' as another possible solution and also posted a message to the MS IE7 blog/forum about the problem. After installing the UASU, the problem at first seemed to persist, but shortly thereafter the spurious error messages and problems with reaching Comcast.net miraculously resolved. Go figure! I don't think the UASU was the answer, or, if it was, this utility certainly does not present in the way that was outlined in the notes provided. More likely, Microsoft made some backend changes that coincided with my own attempts to fix the problem, but I'd certainly be interested to hear from anyone who continues to have similar problems with release versions of IE7.

-Gretchen

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

Just for the heck of it, I tried to go to Comcast.net using the Firefox Browser. The browser went into something I have never encountered before. Page never loaded and search bars are flashing rapidly. Anyone else notice this? No problem when I checked with IE6. No problem going to Comcast.com with Firefox.

Also here is the first link in Google for Comcast.net. Interesting

Comcast.net
If your Web browser is stuck on this page, Comcast.net may have a conflict with your Internet security software. Click here to chat live with a Comcast ...
www.comcast.net/ - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

Edited by buddy215, 29 January 2007 - 10:52 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:12 PM

Glad you took the initiative and got everything sorted out gretchen. :thumbsup:
Seems like Micro$oft likes to keep us guessing!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users