Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Keeps Rebooting After Failed Sp2 Install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:14 PM

Today I did a repair install of windows xp. [home edition] My pc was missing the start menu, taskbar, and icons and that was the only thing I could do as safe mode wouldn't even start and I tried so many other things. So repair worked great and everything came back. I turned my firewall on following the repair guide and got my SP2 cd to reinstall SP2, have AOL on that Pc so had to use the cd. Anyways the SP2 install failed and now my computer keeps restarting. It's back to the same error it said it had when I had to reinstall windows, some keyboard error even though nothing is wrong with the keyboard. The pc wasn't even hooked up to the internet and I had numerous tests done ahead a time to make sure there was no spyware etc, and there wasn't but still SP2 failed to install and windows keeps restarting. I don't know what to do, should I try reinstalling windows again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:01 AM

Usually I hear of people having tons of problems installing service pack 2 on HOME edition PCs. I personally only use Professional edition. Try giving a fresh reformat. Is your windows install disk a SP2 install?

Gavin Seabrook

#3 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:29 AM

SP2 hasn't had any issues with home edition more than Pro edition that I have heard and this keyboard error taht you're reporting is completely bogus

if your keyboard is attached and wroking then there should be no restart involved, if you can post further info on this error please do, let us know what exactly it says etc...

at this point reformatting may be your only options, however if it persists thorugh that you know its a hardware issue in which case, JOY TO THE WORLD! cause its fun decyphering that stuff

#4 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:15 AM

Have you tried, initially, if you can get into safe mode, turning off the autorestart option. This, at least, would allow you to get into Windows and sort out the problem? (Control panel: System: Advanced: Startup and recovery, then untick the automatic restart panel)

#5 ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

My windows install disk didn't have SP2, I have a separate SP2 install disk. As for the keyboard error, I cannot post further information about it as it comes on for a second once in a while so I can't even read it. Can't get into safe mode, already tried to do that and turn off the auto restart.
This is exactly what happened to me before when my taskbar, start menu and icons disappeared. All of a sudden a strange keyboard error comes up, everything is gone and I have to reinstall windows.
Before however I could get into windows and installed SP2. I don't know if that install would affect it as I thought reinstalling windows uninstalls that.

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:08 AM

Try this: Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD. If you can't get your PC to run or don't have a burner try using a friends to create the CD. Install XP using this disk then install your motherboard, graphics and other drivers. The firewall will be enabled automatically with SP2. This will allow you to downlaod and install an anti-virus program and the rest of the necessary updates without worrying about being infected by certain trojans such as Sasser..
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#7 ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:59 PM

I'm trying to do the slipstreaming but when I get to "Next, open a Command Prompt (Start > Run > cmd), and go to the folder where you downloaded SP2 (cd \foldername). Type the command: servicepack filename /integrate:drive/path. In my example the command is WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU /integrate:D:\XP-CD. " I get the error that it failed to copy some or all of the files necessary for integrated install at the end. It says check A]No network or copy errors occured
B]The format of the destination directory is correct

#8 ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

Finally got the slipstreaming to work but when I went to burn it it stopped at 59% and said error. That was the last blank CD I had so I'll have to burn it later.

#9 ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

Got the cd burner to finally work and burn the slipstream cd. I
reinstalled windows and everything is up and running again like it should be. Hasn't worked in months, now it's fixed. Thank you very much. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users