Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rockxp4 Hacking Tool

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fleamour

fleamour

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

Hi

Does anyone know how to remove the hacking tool RockXP4? Flags up as SamDump in Panda AntiVirus. It is totally doing my nut in :inlove: :flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet: !

Somebody please, please, please help. I rue the day I ever got involved with this rubbish, & to think they sell this program for money on eBay!

Every time I try to delete it I am asked if this file is in use, or is it write protected. It is actually set to permanent "Read Only", cannot be manually be set to anything else.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by fleamour, 27 January 2007 - 11:04 PM.

ASRock Conroe (micro ATX) - Ubuntu 12.04/Win 7 Ultimate (x86)
Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz/low profile Noctua (single fan)
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM, GeForce GT220 1024MB

Vintage IBM-T21 laptop, Xubuntu Lucid LTS
512MB KingSpec RAM, 1GHz CPU [T22 Fan], Wireless-G PCMCIA, 7200RPM HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:09 AM

Take off Panda and Zone Alarm. Those programs arent worth Squat. First go to Http://toolbar.yahoo.com and download the TOOLBAR WITH ANTISPY. Then go to http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx and get the windows defender. This should solve your problem. Good luck and remember RUN FULL SCAN!

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

I've been doing some research and many Anti-virus programs flag Rockxp4 as a hacking tool. It seems to be one of those programs that can be used for good or bad purposes. Some of the Anti-malware cleaning tools are also flagged in this manner.

Regarding Panda: was this the on-line scanner or installed software that you used? If is it installed software, unless you personally are dissatisfied with the product, I wouldn't uninstall it. From what I have read it is a decent Anti-virus product.

Regarding removing Rockxp4: have you tried uninstalling it in safe mode?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:35 AM

Booted in safe mode, deleted!

Problem solved.

Thanks!

#5 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:37 AM

Take off Panda and Zone Alarm. Those programs arent worth Squat. First go to Http://toolbar.yahoo.com and download the TOOLBAR WITH ANTISPY. Then go to http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx and get the windows defender. This should solve your problem. Good luck and remember RUN FULL SCAN!

I am surprised that Zone Alarm is not held in high regard? I will check out Windows Defender though...

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:59 AM

Panda anti-virus is an excellent program. It is far more trustworthy than any thing doing with Yahoo who is in bed with Claria/GAIN/Gator. RcokXP4 is being detected by Panda and other anti-virus programs because it scans the registry which is exactly what your anti-virus program is designed and setup to protect. In Panda there is a option to disable the detection of these programs, which to me is foolishness. I want my PC fully protected. I have used Panda Titanium for over 5 years now and my computers have stayed clean.

To me RockXP is an unnecessary program. For retrieving keys and changing them I use Magic Jelly bean.

As for toolbars I will verify that they cause more problems on a PC due to the crap that gets loaded with them. Even the Google toolbar has gotten untrustworthy. I do not install them on my computers nor my customer's.

You do not want to hear my thoughts about Windows Defender. They bought out a decent program and ruined it.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#7 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

Panda anti-virus is an excellent program. It is far more trustworthy than any thing doing with Yahoo who is in bed with Claria/GAIN/Gator. RcokXP4 is being detected by Panda and other anti-virus programs because it scans the registry which is exactly what your anti-virus program is designed and setup to protect. In Panda there is a option to disable the detection of these programs, which to me is foolishness. I want my PC fully protected. I have used Panda Titanium for over 5 years now and my computers have stayed clean.

To me RockXP is an unnecessary program. For retrieving keys and changing them I use Magic Jelly bean.

As for toolbars I will verify that they cause more problems on a PC due to the crap that gets loaded with them. Even the Google toolbar has gotten untrustworthy. I do not install them on my computers nor my customer's.

You do not want to hear my thoughts about Windows Defender. They bought out a decent program and ruined it.

I had heard that Panda had won awards. Apparently Zone Alarm Pro is fine but the free version failed leak test. I am now using Comodo Firewall Pro.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:11 PM

Booted in safe mode, deleted!

Problem solved.

Thanks!

Great! I'm glad it worked.

I am surprised that Zone Alarm is not held in high regard? I will check out Windows Defender though...

Everyone has their likes and dislikes of security software. There are a number of things that affect the effectiveness of the programs besides the quality of the program. These include but are not limited to: other software on the computer, the operating system, how much memory and RAM is available, and browsing habits.

I tried the Windows Defender a few months ago. I booted it off the system in less than a week because of the problems it caused.

I used the ZoneAlarm Security suite for a while. My experience with it: it certainly is a decent suite and offers reasonable protection, it is heavy on system resources which given my 256 RAM is an important concern, it is very difficult to use in safe mode, and getting support - if the information is general it's pretty good, but if one is looking for answers to very specific questions I find it is not so good and is instead rather frustrating. I personally find that I like separate applications for the different security aspects of the suite. You can see what I currently use in my signature below.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users