Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Case Advice

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hello.

I am a moderate PC user with some general knowledge of PCs, hardware and software. I am looking to build a pc for the first time now and have been searching around for a range of different products. The first thing I want to start with and wanted your advice on was the PC case.

I know I want a mid-to-full tower. Mainly interested in plenty of 5.25" bays. Good features would be ease of use internally - i.e. well spaced, laid out area, removable drive slots are a bonus. Should offer as much expandability as possible. Reasonable number and size of fans (i.e. decent cooling) internally is required with potential for water cooling is a bonus although that would be some time in the future. I would like it to have easily accessible audio & usb sockets & power/reset buttons. I don't need a stock PSU as I'll probably buy a better one later anyway and also screwless designs are good for me. Design-wise I prefer simple, neat attractive looks, ideally with a cover over the front of the case. Please can you reccomend any cases that you think would fit the profile or any others that you personally think I should consider. If I've missed any features I should be thinking about please ask me and I'll answer.

The ones I've found so far I'll list now. This should give you an idea of the type of case I like.

AeroCool CoolView - basic case, cheap, neat looking, nice display

Coolermaster Mystique 632 Silver Aluminium Case - professional case, many useful functions, bit pricier, some good reviews of features

Antec 900 - some good reviews, well aerated, good expandability, nice location of connectors and slot for mp3 and the like, not the prettiest, not the cheapest

ThermalTake Kandalf 9000 - favourite so far, very pretty, good functionality/expandability, covers most important features, most expensive :thumbsup:

Feel free to give your appraisal of these designs. I'm in the UK so if you can suggest any bargain websites or shops selling these cases or similar I'd appreciate that knowledge please. At the end of the day its best value for money I'm looking for.

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:06 PM

Personally, I like both the Antec 900 and the Thermaltake Kandalf 9000. If it were me, I'd go with the antec 900. I think that it might have a little better cooling, seeing as how you can put some fans in the front and back to force an airflow, and Antec is a good name brand. Just keep in mind that you might want to get a dust filter for any intake fans to help keep the components inside of your case clean, and you'll need a very good power supply to run all these fans along with everything else in your case!

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Peaches*

Peaches*

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

Hey. If you want a neat, simple design with plenty of cooling I'd suggest going for the CoolerMaster Centurion 5. It comes with silver or blue accents. Here are the links.

BLUE: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=1842

SILVER: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=1842

It offers plenty of ventalation and space. The front pannel is all mesh/grid so air can flow through easily. There are no side windows on those particular models, but if your not going for a gaming PC you really don't need that look. Oh and did I mention it's CHEAP. It offers great value aswell. Check one out in a store to see if it suits your needs but I think it can do the job. :thumbsup:

Peaches*
What else is in the Teaches of Peaches*? Like SEX on the Beaches...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:44 AM

Hey. If you want a neat, simple design with plenty of cooling I'd suggest going for the CoolerMaster Centurion 5. It comes with silver or blue accents. Here are the links.

BLUE: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=1842

SILVER: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=1842

It offers plenty of ventalation and space. The front pannel is all mesh/grid so air can flow through easily. There are no side windows on those particular models, but if your not going for a gaming PC you really don't need that look. Oh and did I mention it's CHEAP. It offers great value aswell. Check one out in a store to see if it suits your needs but I think it can do the job. :thumbsup:

Peaches*

I like this case so much that I'm getting 3 more for the new builds at home (I may go with the Coolermaster Mystique for the wife's tho').
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:08 PM

This CoolerMaster Centurion is not too bad at all. Very good for the price its at but my build is for me and I specifically want something with unexposed drive bays. A clean/neat cover is a must so unfortunately that rules this out.

Anything else? Advice or potential cases?

#6 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:44 PM

I'm a big fan of thermaltake stuff (sorry for u.s. site, i saw you're using pounds.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811133133

Not exactly cheap, but a very nice case imo.

Posted Image

#7 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:09 PM

I myself just put together a computer and I used an Antec Performance One cold-rolled steel case. It's nice and spacious inside with removable cages for hard drives. It's also got 3 huge 120mm fans and the case is unbelievably quiet, even with a lot of firepower that my 'puter has. Of course, this is assuming you have about $120 to burn.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#8 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

Thanks Ocelot. I have seen the other ThermalTake products and the Tsunami is quite a good one but I seem to be attracted to the stylings of the Kandalf more. It seems to be in a similar price range and facilities so I think I would still go for the Kandalf over the Tsunami. Unless someone can point out a benefit of the Tsunami over the Kandalf?

Venek I assume you're talking about the P180 with regards to the Antec case and this was also ne of the cases I did originally like. Very neat and tidy both on appearance and features. If cost does become more of an issue I would definitely consider this.

Keep the ideas coming. What are your favourite cases? Judge by looks, features or experience. What's your dream case?

#9 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

You're right, it's the P180, I couldn't remember the model number and I was too lazy to look it up. At a local computer store, they nicknamed it "The Fridge."
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#10 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

As a general rule, ANTEC and LIAN-LI will make you very happy.
Posted Image

#11 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:14 PM

Speaking of bang for your buck. . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811103003

A 34 dollar case with a 25 cm fan?!? Throw a 120 in the front and two 80's in the back and this seems like a formidable cooling monster! And for 34 dollars? If you're willing to do some case mods, this may be an extremely nice option for cheap users. :thumbsup:

So. . .either 1 kandalf or 7 of these :huh:

Sorry, I REALLY didn't mean to hijack here. If you like the kandalf better, go for it, I think you will be extremely happy with anything over 100$ anyway, you won't get anything bad for that price.

Posted Image

#12 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:34 AM

Didn't see a lot of those coming with power supplies though.

#13 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:29 AM

Antec/Lian-Li - I do know of these companies as good respecteed brands with numerous good products on the market. With the Antec I veer towards the P180 and the P900 both of which suit my needs best and have been mentioned already. Regarding Lian-Li, are there any well priced attractive and functional models? So far I haven't found one that to me can compete with any other case mentioned in this thread? If so, I'd like to hear about it :thumbsup:

lol Ocelot hijacking is allowed only if you can provide some useful input. I do see what you're saying about the cheaper cases especially this one and you're right is a great value buy but for now my first build is primarily for me and I do want a case that I like the look of even if I do end up paying that much extra for it. The question is what's the cheapest option that can fit the criteria....

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:39 AM

I have the Antec P180; it is a really nice, cool and quiet case. I also just helped a buddy build a computer in Antec Nine Hundred. Great cooling and lovely to work with. It is very easy to pick apart and put together again.

Lian-Li usually make really good cases, but expensive. They are in a price category above Antec.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#15 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:05 PM

Mr Alpha, which Lian-Li cases are you talking about when you say they are expensive? Which cases are the ones worth considering irrespective of cost?

When it comes to the Antec cases I think it really is just a choice between the P180 and the P900. While the 900 is more geared towards gaming, I believe, particularly so with its cooling fans I think the 180 may suit my needs anyway? What do you think, which is preferred?

I'm also interested in hearing about any cheap retailers - both physical and online. Currently the cheapest 180 I can find is this one. This listing is also certified as "Antec P180B Advanced Super Mid Tower Black" - is that standard or is the '180B' signify some upgrade?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users