Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hmm Installing Windows 98se

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Woodruff

Ben Woodruff

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:12 PM

I'm trying to install Windows 98SE in Parallels.
I have a Windows 98SE CD (which I thought was bootable).
Apparently it's not, or at least Parallels can't boot from it.

Well anyways, I thought no big deal, I'll just make a Win98 startup disk that has CD support and run setup from there.

No dice on that either. When I try to run setup it tells me "This program requires Microsoft Windows."
hmmm... you'd think if I had Windows installed I wouldn't be trying to install it.
I was pretty sure you could start Win98 setup from a boot disk.
If I can't boot from the CD, how can I do it?
My setup: MacBook Pro | 17" LCD matte display @ 1680 x 1050 | 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM | DVD-R | ATI Radeon X1600 256MB PCIe | 100GB Hitachi 7,200RPM Hard Drive | AirPort Extreme b/g/n

Looking for a PC repair center? Live in upstate NY?
Hurricane Technologies - 53 Genesee St. - Avon NY - 14414 - 585.226.2526

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:55 PM

http://forum.parallels.com/archive/index.php/t-160.html
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 Ben Woodruff

Ben Woodruff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

http://forum.parallels.com/archive/index.php/t-160.html

Read the whole thing. Didn't help :thumbsup:
Most of what was suggested I mentioned I have tied (booting from a floppy).
My setup: MacBook Pro | 17" LCD matte display @ 1680 x 1050 | 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM | DVD-R | ATI Radeon X1600 256MB PCIe | 100GB Hitachi 7,200RPM Hard Drive | AirPort Extreme b/g/n

Looking for a PC repair center? Live in upstate NY?
Hurricane Technologies - 53 Genesee St. - Avon NY - 14414 - 585.226.2526

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:27 PM

No I'm afraid Win9x*Grinler CD's aren't bootable you need to download a Win98 bootable floppy with CD Rom support. Make sure your boot sequence in the BIOS is set to Floppy first. Then ideally you need Format.com and Fdisk.exe on the boot disk so you can do a fresh install. Don't forget if you are installing Win98se from a fresh install then you will also need any additional drivers for Video, Sound card, Monitor maybe, Printer etc. :thumbsup:

Edited by Keithuk, 10 February 2007 - 08:29 PM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:26 PM

No I'm afraid Win9x*Grinler CD's aren't bootable you need to download a Win98 bootable floppy with CD Rom support. Make sure your boot sequence in the BIOS is set to Floppy first. Then ideally you need Format.com and Fdisk.exe on the boot disk so you can do a fresh install. Don't forget if you are installing Win98se from a fresh install then you will also need any additional drivers for Video, Sound card, Monitor maybe, Printer etc. :thumbsup:

All Win98SE and WinME CDs are bootable unless they are homemade copies that weren't created bootable. I would ask for a solution at our Apple/DOS/PDA/Other section or to a Mac forum that deals with using Parallels Virtual Machine.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users