Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading My Crappy Celeron

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mulberry

Mulberry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

First off let me say this site is the Shizznit!

K now my question is, i have a dimension 2400, celeron. (yeah i know p.o.s. but i was low on cash and needed something)

I play World of Warcraft on a daily basis and the onboard graphics card on this thing is crap and i want to upgrade. So my buddy gave me a Connect3D radeon 9600xt video card, the only thing is its a AGP vid card and not a pci and as we all know the celeron only comes with pci slots. Now we were thinking of changing out my mother board so i go to newegg and dearch the intel copatible motherboards with the same socket as mine (478) and found like 9 or 10 that are compatible. The problem im having now is the ones i am interested in say they are for spu type: pentium 4 prescott/celeron D (like example below) are these backwards compatible with my comp? Any help or advice to making the best with what i got atm would be great, ffs i just want to play without lag LOL, not to mention use the leet vid card taht was givin to me.

Here are the motherboards i was looking into:

AGP Slots: 1 x AGP 4X / 8X
CPU Type: Pentium 4 Prescott / Celeron D
FSB: 800/533/400 MHz
Maximum Memory Supported: 2GB
Memory Standard: DDR 400
Number of Memory Slots: 2184pin
Other Slots: 1 x CNR
PATA: 2 x ATA100 up to 4 Devices
PCI Slots: 3
South Bridge: VIA VT8237

CPU Type: Pentium 4 Prescott / Celeron D
FSB: 800/533MHz
PCI Express x16: None
PCI Slots: 3
South Bridge: VIA VT8237R

CPU Type: Pentium 4 / Celeron
FSB: 800/533MHz
Other Slots: 1 x CNR
PCI Slots: 5
South Bridge: VIA VT8237
Supported CPU Technologies: Hyper-Threading Technology

if ur interested in where i got the above motherboards at i was on this page here http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....SubCategory=280

Edited by Mulberry, 27 January 2007 - 07:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:51 PM

You know what I would recommend. Fix up your old computer (the celeron) and take out all your goodies. IE Video Card. Take that computer, Reformat it, Sell it to someone, then go to dells web page and get a brand new computer. Depending on your specs, you could get a pretty penny towards a brand new dell with a better processor, memory, and an AGP 8x, or PCI-E port. If you dont want to go that route, I would recommend ditching pentium and move to AMD. Since you are a gamer, an AMD chip will be a lot better for you. Good luck, and happy hunting.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:07 AM

You know what I would recommend. Fix up your old computer (the celeron) and take out all your goodies. IE Video Card. Take that computer, Reformat it, Sell it to someone, then go to dells web page and get a brand new computer. Depending on your specs, you could get a pretty penny towards a brand new dell with a better processor, memory, and an AGP 8x, or PCI-E port. If you dont want to go that route, I would recommend ditching pentium and move to AMD. Since you are a gamer, an AMD chip will be a lot better for you. Good luck, and happy hunting.

Ok let me stop you right there..lol...While going and buying a dell would be a GREAT idea, Its not really, they have more issues than they are meant to fix by "upgrading" to them, and their service has had its issues, along with the fact you don't get everything you require to even fix your New Dell by yourself, So even if you are computer Saavy, you can't fix any issues with your computer, BEcause its all centralized in their factory area

Dells Are bad ideas to invest in,

Building your own however, Is quite good, because you can replace any parts that fault, and you can fix anything yourself without having to consult a "trained technician"

Celeron D unless I am mistaken should be the same thing that you have in yoru computer, If not the only thing that matters is the socket type, If you can fit the CPU in, it'll work simple as that (unless Ive gone coocoo)

I would invest in a new CPU altogether if you have the spare change around, it'll up your performance in anything you play and you will be far more satisfied by upgrading than you would be by switching out motherboards

if you don't have the spare change then pick your part and go for it, I do not believe theres a whole hell of a lot of difference in Celeron and celeron D, since they use the same socket Id assume the same boards will work

And this post is not to be taken as Anti Dell yada yada, Its more of a warning, Ive noticed a large quantity of problems associated with posters, Tend to be dells, well, Id say its 50/50, but that's enough for me to post against getting it

As per a new processor, depending how high end you go Intel does have its perks now so Im told, their Duo core processor has been reported as outdoing AMD , So if your'e going high high end, go intel Duo core, if not, AMD is a good choice

#4 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:27 AM

Be careful....... lots of Dell power supplies do not play well with other mobo's
If you go for the new board consider a new power supply as well.
Where ever you go.................. There you are

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:53 AM

If upgrading is a concern, stick with standard parts and avoid the major manufacturers (for the most part) - the proprietary parts will frustrate you to no end!

As for a CPU - pick what suits your budget and what you need it for. Check the reviews at Tom's Hardware for comparisons.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:59 PM

Dells I find are reliable (theirs CPU not monitors). It the mighty E machine that sucks lol

Gavin Seabrook

#7 Silivar

Silivar

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:26 PM

In my opinion, what you have now is near hopeless. I've got a friend with a Dimension 2400. It's downright cruel to be forced to use something like that. Celeron processors aren't fit for gaming, or anything other than light web-browsing, at all. Socket 478 is pretty much obsolete now, particularly for upgrading. It's not worth upgrading what you have.

If you're set on upgrading what you have, most of what you looked up won't work. Celeron D motherboards and Celeron processors aren't compatible. Unless it directly says that the motherboard supports Celeron processors, it won't work. The socket isn't the only thing that matters.

This is probably your best bet. Make sure to look into the RAM your computer uses, too. I believe the 2400 uses DDR, but I'm not completely sure.

Again, though, I really doubt it's worth investing into. Your primary limitation in WoW after this will be your processor. That video card isn't all that great. It'll run WoW, but it's not gonna be running at 60 FPS with everything on high. Not even close. If you're a gamer, your best bet is to look into a new computer alltogether. Something that uses PCI-e x16. You'll do much better that way. Your computer is far too outdated to be worth putting money into.

#8 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:25 PM

Agreed, if at all possible, get a new rig =/

If you REALLY want to upgrade, just make sure that your dell is made after 2000, which is when i believe they switched back to standar atx power supplies. Otherwise, you will fry your brand new mobo!

Posted Image

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:28 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 which is in the same group of Dell computers as the 2400. I am confined to no AGP or PCIe graphics slots, but I still bought a PCI graphics card. It really does suck wanting to play new games useing a PCI graphics card that, for like 20$ more, could get an excellent PCIex16 graphics card.

I was looking into getting a new motherboard, but it seemed like so much of a hassle. After looking everything up to upgrade I had found out that I would need maybe a new case (dells motherboards/cases are sometimes different styles then ATX), new power supply, and besides even just reformatting and revalidating windows on the hard drive might not work meaning I would need new hard drive with a new windows xp disc.

So, what I'm saying is save up your cash and buy a new computer. Perhaps you could reformat the hard drive or something and sell the computer for a little bit of money.

Hope this helped!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#10 mdxchaos

mdxchaos

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

ok just gonna pop in here for a quick second.

well i have been building/upgrading computer for many years now, my first ever computer was a crappy compaq when i was like 10, found out quite soon after why you dont buy a compaq. second computer i had was a dell, and i must say even tho its a nice idea to be able to build your own system and order it, they do use propritory motherboards and power supplys, you cannot switch out the motherboard, nor the power supply because of the way its directly hooked up to the power switch almost a psudo-AT style motherboard. also you may wanna check what type of memory they put in your computer, when i got my dell they put RAMBUS-800 memory in my computer, and if the same is true for you, you'll have a hard time trying to find a motherboard that uses RAMBUS memory, not to mention RAMBUS is SOOOOOO expensive compared to other types of memory.

your best bet would be to just scrap your whole computer and start from scratch, this will be the most cost effective way, the money you would be spending to upgrade you current computer is better spent on new part that will last a few years. its easy enough to build a computer that will play any game today for under $1000 (and i'm in canada) so probably even less for you.

next all these people telling you to get an AMD for gaming are out of thieir mind. AMD has never and will never out perform an intel. this is why their processors are cheaper. without going into so much detail its their architecture within the dye that limits them on how much raw horsepower you can get out of the chip. definatly go with a core 2 duo.

1 more thing, trying to reformat and sell off your crappy computer isnt gonna work, people dont buy used computers, but it would make an excellent birthday or christmas gift to a family member who dosent own a computer yet ;)

Edited by mdxchaos, 04 February 2007 - 04:25 PM.

#11 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:02 PM

If you can't sell your computer, at least give it to someone like me (so i can run linux on it!! woo!!) or recycle it through someone like http://freegeek.org/

Posted Image

#12 flymite

flymite

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:59 AM

I've done the same, ugraded my Dimension 2400, and have gotten solid performance running World of Warcraft, the reason I upgraded. I bought a pentium 4 running at 3.6ghz and 533mhz fsb. It's a 478 socket. I paid $30 for it from a gamer who had upgraded his system. I bought a really nice geforece video board, PCI, for another $40 dollars. I can't see where all this talk is coming from advising you to purchase another computer. I would ill advise this unless you don't know a processor from a hole in the head.

Good luck...you're on the right track.

Ok let me stop you right there..lol...While going and buying a dell would be a GREAT idea, Its not really, they have more issues than they are meant to fix by "upgrading" to them, and their service has had its issues, along with the fact you don't get everything you require to even fix your New Dell by yourself, So even if you are computer Saavy, you can't fix any issues with your computer, BEcause its all centralized in their factory area

Dells Are bad ideas to invest in,

Building your own however, Is quite good, because you can replace any parts that fault, and you can fix anything yourself without having to consult a "trained technician"

Celeron D unless I am mistaken should be the same thing that you have in yoru computer, If not the only thing that matters is the socket type, If you can fit the CPU in, it'll work simple as that (unless Ive gone coocoo)

I would invest in a new CPU altogether if you have the spare change around, it'll up your performance in anything you play and you will be far more satisfied by upgrading than you would be by switching out motherboards

if you don't have the spare change then pick your part and go for it, I do not believe theres a whole hell of a lot of difference in Celeron and celeron D, since they use the same socket Id assume the same boards will work

And this post is not to be taken as Anti Dell yada yada, Its more of a warning, Ive noticed a large quantity of problems associated with posters, Tend to be dells, well, Id say its 50/50, but that's enough for me to post against getting it

As per a new processor, depending how high end you go Intel does have its perks now so Im told, their Duo core processor has been reported as outdoing AMD , So if your'e going high high end, go intel Duo core, if not, AMD is a good choice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users