Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pray For Me...pls?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:11 PM

Hey all,

In the middle of putting together my PC. Holy rusted holes Batman! Even with a pretty large case (Antec Performance 1), I'm finding it interesting to cram in all the parts and cables. My biggest concern is my CPU. Damn Intel for packing it so tightly that when I finally popped the plastic casing open, the CPU fell out and landed on my wooden table. I instantly despaired as I assumed that the CPU's dead from dropping it. Is it? Either way I'm going forward with it and hoping the CPU withstood that little fall.

Also, just my luck, the power LED wire is a 3-pin and I only have a 2-pin on the mobo. You'd think for a high-end $250 mobo they would have a 3-pin power LED connector. Guess not. Now I have to figure out how to get that pin out of the 3rd socket and put it in the 2nd. Any suggestions? I know it's not really that big of a deal, but I'm a completist.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:19 PM

the CPU fell out and landed on my wooden table. I instantly despaired as I assumed that the CPU's dead from dropping it. Is it?

No, it should be fine. Not That CPU's are super tough (becuase their not), but they should be able to withstand a short fall like yours did. I saw someone drop a P4 3.06 from about chest high and it landed on a hard tile floor......put it in and it worked fine, and is still working fine.

Also, just my luck, the power LED wire is a 3-pin and I only have a 2-pin on the mobo. You'd think for a high-end $250 mobo they would have a 3-pin power LED connector. Guess not. Now I have to figure out how to get that pin out of the 3rd socket and put it in the 2nd. Any suggestions? I know it's not really that big of a deal, but I'm a completist.

I don't have to much here for you.....could you perhaps find an adapter that will allow you to go from 3 pin to a 2 pin (or vice versa)?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:08 AM

try to find an adapter for the 3 to 2 pin, if not skip the LED's entirely, nto worth the effort in my opinion to bother with something like that :thumbsup:

#4 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:55 AM

Thanks...I'm not too concerned about the power LED, but I like to have it for peace of mind I guess.

Now a couple of new problems (they just keep popping up). I only have one IDE connector on the mobo...and FOUR IDE devices! I'm going to the store today and intend to buy a SATA-IDE adapter and that should solve the problem. I MAY end up buying a new SATA DVD-R/W just to upgrade. Maybe Lightscribe...damn temptations!

Second problem is that I'm having trouble locating the optical drive audio connector on the mobo. There was one on my old computer, maybe I don't need one for the new one? Hard to believe. I looked on the layout of the mobo in the manual and doesn't point it out for me except for the onboard & case speaker connections. Manual's pretty crappy if you ask me, eVGA could've done a better job of it. Anything else I should be on the lookout for before I go on my shopping trip?

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

What's the make/model of your motherboard? I'll look it up online and see what I find out.

For the audio, you might not have onboard sound. I've bought a mobo before and thought it had onboard audio......but it didn't. Luckily, I already had a soundcard to install!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Just got back from shopping and bought a USB PCI card to free up the USB connectors on the mobo for the case USB ports on the front. I don't mind the few extra dollars on that. Also got a Samsung DVD/CD burner with Lightscribe for 50 bucks! (OEM, but who cares?)

As for audio, it's already got 7.1 HD built in the mobo. It's the new eVGA 680i SLI mobo. Pretty nice monster if you ask me.

Store didn't have a 3-pin to 2-pin adapter. Can't find it on Newegg either. I'll try to cut out the middle part and see if that'll work (per mobo manual's suggestion, not my idea!). If it doesn't work, no harm done, I'm sure I can buy a replacement front bezel indicator assembly with 2-pin connectors.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:11 AM

Are you talking about the audio cable that goes from the CD/DVD drive to the mobo? If so, just leave it off - newer mobo's handle this internally now.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users