Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blocking Spam

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:56 PM

Do the senders of spam ( in may case mostly stocks and ) know that that I have blocked their emails ?

I have blocked many at the domain level, yet I still get 10-20 emails a days in my block folder using different address.

Thanks

TB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:10 AM

Once "the bad guys "know your email adress is valid they will use any trick in the book to get through. What kind of email do you use? POP3? You could try a spamfilter likeSpamilator. What program are you using know to block spam?

#3 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:29 AM

I do not use a spam program . I used the tools supplied by ISP and yahoo mail. I block the address and sometimes the domain using the tools Yahoo provides. They come faster (new addresses) than I can block them.

I am looking for a career change so I have my resume ( with email address) on many jobs boards so the spam keeps pouring in.

I did create a new email account for the job hunt.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:44 AM

Do NOT expect to rid yourself of spam if you're using an email address supplied to you from your isp.

Your isp could be the actual culprit. Use a FREE account, like Hotmail or others (I've been using them for 13 years now), and you WILL be better protected from the spam emails.

Your isp isn't going to protect you as you think they should, so why use their email addresses provided to you?

Also, when you setup a new email account, you need to make sure you have ONLY known email addresses allowed in to you. I have so many Hotmail accounts, and I don't get a single piece of spam....... in years now, because I know how to block them.

Using all of those other softwares out there aren't going to fully protect you,, as nothing really will, but having multiple email addresses that you can use is your best defense. This time, .... know who you're giving your email address out to.

It's real simply. I'm glad I don't get spam anymore. For almost a few years now.... but a few slip in every now and then. But no more than about 20 -30 per year, per email address I have.

Trust me,, it works like a charm.

Stop using your isp's email address. That's where your problem is.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:08 AM

Regardless of whether you use your ISP's provided e-mail address or not, if you post a live e-mail address on websites you will get spam because of something called spambots which harvest e-mail addresses. If you need to post your e-mail address, break it somehow so it isn't live. Example: instead of foaming@shampoo.suds (I just invented this address for example purposes: it isn't real) you could write it like this:
foaming AT shampoo dot suds

By the way, I use my ISP provided e-mail, and I DO NOT get spam on it. I have in the past used e-mail that wasn't provided by my ISP, in fact I didn't have one or a computer, and got lots of spam because of my ignorance about not posting my e-mail address on the web and because I was ignorant about not clicking on the "unsubscribe" link.

Another spam prevention: If you don't recognize the sender - don't open it - period. Do not allow images in messages no matter who they are from. Have your friends send images as attachments, save them to a file, scan them, then open them in your picture viewing software if they are clean.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:08 AM

NVM.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 31 January 2007 - 01:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users