Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobeupdater.exe Problems

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:51 PM

Hello there,

I'm having some "issues" with AdobeUpdater.exe and slow shutdowns. I don't know if they're related, but thought it worth mentioning.

First, about the Adobe Updater, everytime I click on a page that requires Adobe Reader, it's taking a very long time to load, and it's hogging my resources - CPU runs at 100%. Seems it won't stop this until I manually open up Task Manager and click on End Process. Between the Adobe Updater and Acrobat Reader, the two of them are causing the 100% readout on my CPU, split about evenly at times, other times the Updater takes it all.

I Googled the AdobeUpdater.exe today and was a bit surprised to see that it could be a major problem. This is where I need someone's expertise, and would appreciate your help.

Secondly, the issue of the slow shutdowns. I posted a thread about this a week or so ago. After doing a System Restore, going back 6 days to before I loaded back on several programs after a recent Full System Recovery, the shutdowns were better and normal at times. At least now there were some normal shutdowns. I've only added back in one program, Picasa, as I wanted to be able to see who/what might be causing this. Since there seems to be no consistency here, I don't think I can blame Picasa.

I'm running a Compaq Presario, 80 GB, 70% free space, 512 RAM, 1.83 AMD processor. I use Firefox to browse. After said Recovery, I have downloaded all necessary updates, Windows and security, and keep them updated. I have noticed that for some reason Spybot S & D is running ultra slow when I click on Search for Problems. Otherwise, everything SEEMS normal, but I'm still learning. Thanks again for anyones help.

Regards,

Eagle7

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 27 January 2007 - 08:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

Hi Eagle, if Adobe is giving you a few problems you can turn off auto updates in, > edit>my computer> preferences. About your second question, 1: create a restore point. 2: Do you have many programs running in the notification area? (next to the clock) if you can shut down some of these programs it will help. These can hog resourses and slow down your computer. 3:run disk clean up, go to >start>my computer>right click your boot drive (usually C:)>properties>disk clean up, make sure you have all the boxes ticked and go ok. 4: defrag you hard drive after disk clean up. More ram would be good if you are playing around with large files such as photo's. If you really want to get into it more deeply have a look at htis post by Fozzie, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/79279/winxp-slooooow-shutdown-manual-off-needed/

Edited by Monty007, 27 January 2007 - 04:28 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#3 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:12 PM

Hi Monty007,

Thanks for your reply. I have recently done all of the tasks you suggest. The disk check and defrag were just done last week. The only programs in my notification area are my my AVG and Spysweeper programs, my keyboard and mouse (without which they will not function properly), my APC battery back up and finally my printer.

As I haven't yet reinstalled my Adobe PSE since wiping the hard drive, I only have a handful of pictures on my computer in my Picasa file. Before the System Recovery and with PSE loaded and having nearly 1000 pictures on my hard drive - I didn't have these problems. My computer runs pretty quickly otherwise. Pages load quickly (for dial-up, that is).

I'm wondering if this is some sort of 'bug'. Whatever it is, is really affecting my ability to download and view anything in Adobe READER. I've never had this kind of problem with Reader before, only in the last week or so.
Sounds like there are others out there complaining of a possible root kit using "AdobeUpdater.exe". Heard anything about that? Think it might be related to my problems? Thanks.

Regards,

Eagle7

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:08 PM

Check your firewall's permissions for Adobeupdater and block it from accessing the Internet. After that get rid of it.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase...x.cfm?id=332745

Solution 1: Remove the AUM transaction file.

Remove the AUtrans.xml file from the Documents and Settings\ [user name] \Application Data\Adobe\Updater folder.

Solution 2: Remove the Adobe Updater.exe key from the registry if it exists.

Disclaimer: The registry contains system-related information that is critical to your computer and applications. Before modifying the registry, be sure to make a backup copy of it. Adobe does not provide support for problems that arise from improperly modifying the registry. Adobe strongly recommends that you have experience editing system files before you modify the registry. For information on the Windows Registry Editor, see your Windows user guide or contact Microsoft Technical Support.

To remove the Adobe Updater.exe key:

1. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

2. Select the AdobeUpdater.exe key (if it exists), and then choose Edit > Delete.

3. Click Yes in the Confirm Key Delete dialog box.

Solution 3: Search for and delete the AdobeUpdater.rbt file if it exists.

1. Select Start > Search.

2. Under What Do You Want To Search For, select All Files And Folders.

3. In the All Or Part Of The File Name box, type: AdobeUpdater.rbt

4. In the Look In box, choose your local hard disk.

5. Click Search.

6. Delete the AdobeUpdater.rbt file from the search results if it is found.

For the shutdown problem try downloading and installing;

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:32 PM

Hello,

There doesn't appear to be anything in my Firewall Applications list about Adobe, so nothing to block.

I did some research on the Adobe Support Adobe Reader forum this evening. Apparently, there are a host of problems with vs 8, which is what I recently downloaded. I did not have any of these problems with vs 7. Some are deleting 8 and going back to 7, others seem to be able to wait for the 'patch'. As well, it seems that it was vs 7 that had the "malware scare" which has since been patched.

The instructions you provided me don't seem to relate to vs 8. So, I might just sit on this for a few days, see what else other's are saying at Adobe. Thanks so much for your speedy reply and patience while I decide just what to do on this one.

The shutdown slowness is sporadic, and has only been an issue since I downloaded vs 8. Maybe there's a connection. Think I'll hold off on doing anything about that as well. Thanks again.

Regards.

Eagle7

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:30 AM

I think that would be a good idea.
MCP
MSDST

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:08 PM

I found this.

Disable Adobe Updater with Adobe Customization Wizard 8

Get Your Donor Card

#8 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

Hey thanks!

I downloaded those files and will see if they solve the problem. I'll let ya know. Have a great day.

Regards, Eagle7

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,849 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:35 PM

A good free alternate PDF reader that doesn't take nearly the time to load and also uses much less computer resources is Foxit Reader which you can find here: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:16 PM

Hi Orangeblossom,

Once again, you've come to my rescue, thanks so much! I know so little about Abode Reader, just use it to download pages and open up others. Sounds like this one will certainly do that for me. A couple of questions for you. Is it basically compatible with PDF files I already have saved on my computer? So, it would open them just fine? Honestly, that's all I can even think of to ask. If there's anything else practical I should know, I'm sure you'll point me in the right direction.

Oh, since it's SO much smaller than Reader, what's the major difference between the two? I'm guessing I won't be losing out on anything, since I am such a novice at using Reader anyhow. Thanks again.

Regards,

Eagle7

P.S. What do I need to do to keep the Adobe Reader from opening when I use the Foxit Reader? Does it need to be disabled or something?

Edited by Eagle7, 29 January 2007 - 03:21 PM.

#11 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:42 AM

Also good work Terrorist for finding the site!
MCP
MSDST

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,849 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:04 AM

What do I need to do to keep the Adobe Reader from opening when I use the Foxit Reader? Does it need to be disabled or something?

If you aren't using any other Adobe products, such as PDF Maker or Adobe Photoshop, you could simply uninstall the Adobe Reader. Foxit Reader will read PDF files just fine. I use it for my default PDF reader with no problems. I have kept Adobe Reader, though, since I do use other Adobe products.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:22 AM

I have Adobe Reader 8 running just fine. I disabled the updater and went to Edit > Preferences where I set it up to behave as I want.

Get Your Donor Card

#14 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:50 PM

What kinds of changes might one make in the Preferences area to ensure behaving properly?

I will try the disabling updater, first tho. Haven't had a chance yet.

Thanks folks,

Eagle7

#15 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:15 PM

These are what I have done so far. I continually search through the preferences to see what they do and what isn't necessary.

Under Preferences;

General > Under Basic tools I only have Create links from URLs checked.

Page display > Check Use smooth scrolling

Internet > Uncheck Display PDF in browser, Set connection speed

JavaScript > Uncheck Enable Adobe JavaScript (more secure)

Search > Uncheck Enable Fast Find

Some reading: Section Four: Customizing Adobe Reader for your accessibility needs

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 30 January 2007 - 06:15 PM.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users