Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Little Advice Please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hi all.

I have worked as an electrician for close to thirty years now and have a back problem that is going to force me to quit this type of work. Over the last couple of years since I've become involved with computers I've learned quite a bit and enjoy working with computers. I found out today that I will be eligible for some assistance to change vocations, and what I'm considering is going for a A+ certification and seeking work though the county. I'm also looking at either networking/internet security, or adding a degree in computer sciences my other two associate degrees. Does anyone here have any advice in these regards?

Any and all advice will be gladly appreciated. Thanks, dc3

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:01 PM

Comptia A+ and Comptia Network + are good entry level certifications. After that it will depend on what area of IT you would like to work in. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Comptia Website

Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:42 AM

Networking and security both look like good options to me. I've seen a fair decent number of job openings that ask for networking and security expertise. I'd probably hold off on the Computer Science degree and see if the new job would pay for additional schooling if it were necessary. I don't know what A+ certification is so I don't have any ideas there.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:58 AM

I've read a couple of books about A+ certification and from what I gather it's the 1st thing you need to get anything else in the computer "fix-it" world. My son designs and works on games for Sony and while taking courses he told me that he had to have A+ before getting whatever it is he has. So get that and go for the bigger stuff after that. There all kinds of certifications, for Microsoft and Linux. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:06 AM

Your son is correct, Comptia A + and Network + are a good starting point. Once you have them under your belt you can go from there. It really depends on what area of IT you are interested in pursuing whether it be Security, Networking, Programing or whatever else you are interested in. I need to make one point though, having the certs is no guaranty you will be able to find a job in IT. These days the market is flooded with Techs with certification but no on the job experience. Get on the job experience even if you have to work as an intern. This will help you in the future, I learned the hard way so I'm telling you this so you won't have to go through what I went through. I hope this helps, please keep in mind I speak from experience I'm not just spouting off. I've been there done that.
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:38 AM

Maybe have a look at the MCDST aswell. This can be more useful in the Helpdesk world. It really depends on what you are looking to do in the IT industry.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the response guys, I will go for the A+ and internet+ certifications, this will take time and in the interim I will review my other options and refine my goals.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users