Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few minor problems...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nosaj

Nosaj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:32 PM

Heya, I'm Jason. Please bear in mind that I know only what the average person of the computer generation knows, which isn't much heh. :flowers:

I've XP and have started to have several errors surrounded my computer recently. I believe it started when I was searching for a file via bit-torrent and with some of the engines I came across failed, I resorted to downloading a program called Torrent Search, which I believe is what is causing this ruckus. I deleted the program of course, but still scars remain, unless it's from something entirely different, in which case :thumbsup:

Such as: My recycling bin does not display any files that I delete, yet appears empty. And another strange thing is I can click on "Empty Recycling Bin," but it always asks if I want to remove 18 files that I deleted days ago and I've deleted more than that since.

Another is concerning logins. For instance, ebay does not allow me to sign in, but instead tells me that the page cannot be displayed/accessed/take your pick. It's also like this on the World of Warcraft forum and another I don't remember the name of. I've tried deleting my cookies, but still no change.

I'm also getting pop-ups on everything, including Firefox. In fact just now when I clicked on 'Show All' for the emoticons I got a pop-up for "Purchase SpyBlocs 3.0 to protect yourself from Internet threats that may jeopardize your PC and your identity!" I've come across this sort of thing and just scanned my comp for spyware and removed it. And in a relative note I've downloaded the latest version of Adaware, scanned and deleted whatever spyware appeared, but still no luck what so ever.

Oh and lastly the standard beep that Windows XP gives (sorry I don't even remember how it sounds) has been replaced with one that seems to come from the computer tower rather than where it should be: the speakers.

If someone can throw me a bone, it be much appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:55 PM

Are you using these basic security programs?
aČ free-a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware-A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D-Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster-A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard-A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

If that doesn't help, then:

Download the latest version of HijackThis (HJT), from here.

Put HijackThis in a Permanent folder:
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder; HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.
This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Nosaj

Nosaj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the response. I'll look into all possibilities.

Oh and because of the similarities between adaware and spybot could I have perhaps mishandled adaware so that it would mess up my computer?

#4 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for the response. I'll look into all possibilities.

Oh and because of the similarities between adaware and spybot could I have perhaps mishandled adaware so that it would mess up my computer?

If that's the case you can reverse any changes made in either program, both Adaware SE & Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3 make backups before making any changes. HTH
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users