Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ccleaner

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:39 AM

Hi everyone , this is sort of a question about ccleaner which I have being using for a month or so. I use to use System Mechanic until a friend told me about ccleaner. It seems quite a good program but just latley Ive had a few problems such as missing dll files and the computer just going a bit slow and hanging. Did all the usual stuff but I had to upgrade anyway so I did a format 2 days ago. Everyting went ok, put on my programs and run ccleaner. Did a reboot not long after and could only boot into a black screen.(This happened direvty after runing ccleaner) So my question is im not game to put it back on my computer until someone covinces me its a safe program. (p.s. ive fixed the pc)
MCP
MSDST

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:58 AM

CCleaner is a powerful tool that is very dangerous for those of us who know just enough to be dangerous! :thumbsup:

The default cleaner is safe enough - but using the other tools requires an in-depth knowledge of what's going on inside your system.

Any changes to the registry should be preceded by a backup (which CCleaner will do for you). Any file deletions (other than the default cleaner) should be thoroughly researched before deleting them permanently.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:12 AM

Did you use the "Issues" feature? Did you allow Ccleaner to backup the changes you made to the registry? did you reinstall the changes after finding problems possibly caused by the changes?
Did you use any of the "advanced" selections to clean?
I and others would be very interested in your answers to the questions above. Thanks.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:15 PM

I'm a Ccleaner fan and am using it for your years. I have never seen the issues you have posted overhere. Is there anything in the evntviewer ( START RUN type eventvwr) marked with red crosses. Was it booting at all?
Can you tell us which settings you use for Ccleaner?Am as startled as buddy

#5 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:47 PM

Did you use the "Issues" feature? Did you allow Ccleaner to backup the changes you made to the registry? did you reinstall the changes after finding problems possibly caused by the changes?
Did you use any of the "advanced" selections to clean?
I and others would be very interested in your answers to the questions above. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply guys, Yes I did use the issue feature, yes i backed up the registry, Computer crashed so bad on the second re boot as I couldn't get it back even in safe mode so I didn't get the chance to reinstall the back up , no I didn't use the advanced selections to clean. But I did untick in issues, Shared DLLs, that was the only change I made. It could all be a coincidence but I use to use the DLLs ticked until I could not do a sfc command as I would get an error message about missing DLLs.
MCP
MSDST

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:35 PM

Unless you are very careful, and have the background to enable you to review what CC candidates, I would certainly urge you to avoid using it. It can cause a lot more problems than the reduction in disk space warrants.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:18 AM

This has opened a can of worms.......some say it is a very good and safe program and others urge caution. Well I have got my computer back to a good level and run ccleaner with no probs this time but I did make sure what I was deleting this time and no probs at all. I think if you take things for granted or do not have the experience things can go wrong..........so I must admit from now on I will double check what Iam doing. Well I hope so !
MCP
MSDST

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:47 AM

I don't want to beat a dead horse by reiterating what jgweed and usasma have said, but it bears repeating. So, I'll do so by using an old addage:

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Ccleaner is like a nuclear chain reaction. As useful as it can be, so can it be dangerous.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

CCleaner is a bit like high explosives - and excellent tool, but it can be very dangerous (as you've found out).

My suggestion is a bit different tho'. I'd recommend making regular backups of your registry with ERUNT (free here: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ ) Use the readme file to setup daily backups.

Then learn how to repair the registry from the Recovery Console or from a BartPE disk. It's not difficult, but it is very complicated. (FWIW - you can even use a PE tool to yank registry backups out of restore points and install them on the system. YMMV, so proceed with caution!)

Then, if disaster strikes, you're not limited to Windows in order to try and repair it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:59 AM

Thanks for the help and advice and I will be taking your advice usamsa.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users