Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot After Partition Resize With Partitionmagic

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 blackberet

blackberet

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:17 AM

So I have XP and wanted to dual boot with a Linux distribution. I don't know a whole lot about partitioning but finally came across PartitionMagic and decided to make use of it to get a Linux partition set up.

I have a 160GB hard drive(NTFS) that had about 20GB available. Following the Flash tutorial's instructions, I first tried to install BootMagic. When I did so I was prompted to first create a small 20-50MB FAT/FAT32 partition for BootMagic to reside in. Okay, fair enough...

I went back into PartitionMagic to create a new partition. I had to resize my initial primary partition down some, as apparently only about 7MB were "unallocated." So I resized it down to just a bit above what I assume was to 140GBish mark (PartitionMagic doesn't let you resize smaller than what is already being used... probably an obvious point but I'm trying to be clear in my post). I then created a new FAT32 logical partition of 50MB for BootMagic. Both the resizing of my primary partition and creation of the new logical partition were done in the same session, and at that point I "applied" these settings and was prompted reboot for the changes to take effect.

All was well for about 20 minutes while the partition was being resized and the new one was being created. At about 30% progress, however, I received an error (something to the effect of "there was not enough space to create this partition. I'm going to exit now.") and the system rebooted...only to take me to the Safe Mode selection screen. Choosing any of the options there loads the system for about 2 seconds longer, then the computer reboots. Ack!

I chatted with someone with symantec and they led me to a page (http://service1.symantec.com/Support/powerquest.nsf/docid/2004092569008862) that initially seemed pretty right on target. It instructs me to download ptedit.exe in order to edit the partition table. The bulk of my troubles today have come from trying to run ptedit on a computer that doesn't boot. I'm not very familiar with DOS or with booting operations, so I'm hoping someone can lend a helping hand. I have a lot of data on my HD so I'm really hoping to get things back to somewhat normal.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:29 AM

If you can actually get into safe mode, I'd try one of two things: system restore choosing a date and time just before you installed BootMagic or used the Partition Magic, whichever came first. If that doesn't work, I'd then try the Last Known Configuration to get a working system again.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 blackberet

blackberet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:34 AM

Like I said, after choosing any of the safe mode options the computer only loads for a couple more seconds and then reboots again...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:09 AM

I'd suggest a repair install at this point: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Although you could try repairing the MBR and boot files with the Recovery Console also.

Dunno how well this will work with the PM Boot manager - but it's worth a shot.

FWIW - I've had many problems with PM because I've tried to do too much at once. Now when I use it, I only do one thing at a time and take the time to reboot between operations. Things go much more smoothly for me this way.

If the repair install doesn't work, then I'd suggest using PM (one step at a time) to put your disk back in the shape that it was before all this started. Then run the repair install and that should fix it.

Edited by usasma, 27 January 2007 - 08:10 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 blackberet

blackberet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:42 PM

Although you could try repairing the MBR and boot files with the Recovery Console also.

What is the MBR, and how do I repair that or the boot files in the Recovery Console (I know how to get to the Recovery Console with the XP CD, but that's about it)?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:12 AM

Once in the Recovery Console, type these 3 commands and press Enter after each one:

fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

This'll correct most boot problems - but I have absolutely no idea how it will affect the Boot Magic stuff. It may not affect it at all, or it may hose everything - it's at your own risk!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 blackberet

blackberet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:55 PM

Well I'll give those a try. I already attempted a repair install, but the repair option is gone from the Windows Setup screen now. The other suggestions Michael Stevens provides on that page are a no go as well.

I've come to grips with hosing my system at this point. If those 3 commands don't fix anything I'm just going to do a complete clean install. Goodbye 20GB of music...

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,713 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

You might be able to save your data by hooking up your drive as a slave to another one. Usasma knows how to do this - I don't.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:23 PM

Slaving is easiest with a USB drive caddy - then you just plug the drive in and copy the stuff over. Access Denied errors may occur - but those are relatively easy to fix.

You can also slave with another system - just be sure that the jumpers on the drives are set appropriately - "Slave" for your drive and "Master" for the drive on the system you're slaving it with.

Here's a link about the Access Denied errors: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/

Finally, you may be able to access the drive with a Live Linux distro, a BartPE bootdisk, the UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD), or with a DOS boot disk that contains CD drivers and an NTFS reader.

#10 blackberet

blackberet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:16 AM

Well saints be praised! Or perhaps I should say, Usasma be praised. I typed in the three commands you listed into the Recovery Console (with an obligatory "chkdsk" between the second and third), after which my windows installation was recognized again and I was able to do a repair install. At that point PartitionMagic kicked back in and resumed the partitioning, and about a half hour later I was back to my original desktop, everything intact!

Thanks a ton for the help. Now the music can live on....

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:27 AM

As you learn more and more about computers you'll be trying new things - an unfortunate side-effect of these things is that you'll sometimes hose your OS. So, don't forget to backup now so you won't regret it later! Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users