Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mp3 To M4a Conversion?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 larkspur

larkspur

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:09 PM

Convert an MP3 to M4A?

... OK, I have seen stuff on the web about it, of-course, and the hits all offer software downloads & such, promising UBER conversion etc. I just decided to trust this site more.

My question should be: Which software is recommended for the task? Would anyone happen to know of a safe download (& where to find it)?

Edited by larkspur, 27 January 2007 - 09:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:47 PM

You can convert .mp3 to .m4a.

Do a search on the search engines and there are tons of information on how to do it.

#3 larkspur

larkspur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:14 PM

MP3 to M4A = Bad Idea

If anyone else is interested, I have since learned that it's a bad idea to convert an MP3 to M4A, though, I suppose it is probably possible. Transcoding from one compression to another isn't recommended, as much loss and distortion is caused in translation. Makes sense.

I have had Winamp 5.32 player recommended to me. Comments?

Edited by larkspur, 27 January 2007 - 10:51 PM.

#4 KIDRoach

KIDRoach

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:25 AM

what's the natural player for m4a anyway ?

when i use windows media player, it detects it as other files, instead of audio files. while i know that m4a is audio file, is it a better compression ?
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

#5 larkspur

larkspur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:59 PM

- As far as I know, M4A is a better compression than MP3. It's quite new. I can't find any evidence of Windows Media player having anything to do with M4A either... Maybe an update will become available for that(?). I have had Winamp 5.32 player recommended to me for playing & converting M4A, though I haven't tried it yet. My Sony Ericsson phone plays them.

Edited by larkspur, 31 January 2007 - 04:02 PM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:19 PM

Files in .M4A format are actually the audio layer of (non-video) MPEG 4 movies. M4A is slated to become the new standard for audio file compression. This format is also known as Apple Lossless, Apple Lossless Encoder, or ALE. It is a new codec designed to provide lossless encoding in less storage space.

Extension: M4A
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:11 PM

I can't find any evidence of Windows Media player having anything to do with M4A either... Maybe an update will become available for that(?). I have had Winamp 5.32 player recommended to me for playing & converting M4A, though I haven't tried it yet.

I have MP4 AAC audio files that I want to listen to... have you tried that player yet?

#8 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:25 PM

Answering my last post here ... :thumbsup:

I downloaded the Winamp 5.32 player and it worked fine.

But can I convert mp4 to mp3 (only bc I have no mp4 player).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users