Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Pc Turns On By Itself!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 txishome

txishome

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:48 PM

Oh my goodness, I t hought I was losing my mind, but my desktop PC is turning on b\y itself while we are at work!! What can be wrong??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:07 PM

Have you install any software or hardware lately? Do you have any USB devices?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:28 PM

Do you have any of the various "Wake On..." settings enabled in the BIOS or in Windows? Typically these are the modem, the LAN card, the keyboard and the mouse (although other devices are possible).

Do you have the system set to Standby or Hibernate?

Do you have cats? They like to climb on keyboards and activate them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 txishome

txishome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

How do I check for "Wake ons"? Nope, no cats and no new software or hardware! What a creepy feeling.....!!!

How do I check for "Wake ons"? Nope, no cats and no new software or hardware! What a creepy feeling.....!!!

#5 Cavillas

Cavillas

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:31 AM

You have a ghost in your machine :thumbsup: Failing that, try a different keyboard in case it is faulty.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:27 AM

Usually, to check in the BIOS, you'll have to press "Del" as the system boots (although other keys are used). Read the BIOS screen as the system boots to see what you need to press to enter "Setup".

Once in, cruise around and find any entries that have "Wake" in them. Don't change anything yet - and don't save the changes when exiting. This will ensure that your system still boots. Let us know what the entries are and we'll help you to ensure that they're the right one's.

Within Windows it's a bit more complicated. You'll have to check many different settings and devices. First, check your Power settings in Control Panel to see if Standby/Hibernate/Sleep options are enabled. Disable them for now (you can always re-enable them if needed). Then start going through all the devices and their properties to check and see if there's any boxes for "sleep", "wake", or "resume". Ensure that you check all devices that can communicate with the outside world - this includes the modem, network card and connection, keyboard, mouse, and maybe even the USB settings.

Edited by usasma, 27 January 2007 - 08:28 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:52 AM

Sounds like a case of Gremlins :thumbsup: to me.

Actually I agree usasma on this. The "Wake on..." settings in the bios are the only things I know of, short of animate beings (entities?) that will turn a computer on.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 28 January 2007 - 05:53 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:06 AM

A bit OT - but it shows the point.

My wife just showed me a video on the web. A husband and wife were commiserating about their water bill being so high and were wondering what they could do about it. While talking, they heard the toilet flush in their downstairs bathroom. Rushing downstairs they found that the cat was flushing the toilet and staring at the water as it swirled out of the bowl.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:39 PM

Ha-ha :thumbsup:

Actually Usasma that story just made me think of something. Some friends of ours frequently got into quarrels one accusing the other of turning on the TV when no-one was watching it or of using the remote to change the channels or turn it off when someone was. What was actually responsible was the dog's chain collar and tags. Apparently when the parts of it rattled it matched the frequencies of the remote that turned the TV on and off and switched the stations.

Is it possible that something like this or some electronic device is triggering something in the computer that could turn the computer on?

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:26 PM

Any near by wireless/transmitter devices? Do you have a garage door opener?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users